Dangerous shot on goal

Discussion in 'Outdoor Umpiring Questions' started by Gambit, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gambit

Gambit FHF Starter

I had this debate with a fellow umpire and a couple of other players the other day.

Is there a dangerous shot on goal and if yes then you would you consider dangerous?

Moderator's note: FHF consensus may be seen at Reply #3 below.

All replies are welcome. Edit 31-Oct-2011: Thread locked and made sticky (as per Reply #5) no replies possible at present.

Edit 3/11/11: This thread has now been edited to remove any remarks that could have been interpreted as comments on specific individuals and any references to the content of other hockey discussion boards. Red.

2. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Of course a shot on goal can be dangerous.
    Any cry from a player "but it was a shot on goal" should be ignored.

I'm guessing you missed out the word "what" so the second part of your post should read "what would you consider dangerous"

Rule 9.8 :
    Players must not play the ball dangerously or in a way which leads to dangerous play.
    A ball is considered dangerous when it causes legitimate evasive action by players.
    The penalty is awarded where the action causing the danger took place

It is your interpretation as an umpire as to what you consider to be dangerous.

3. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Every internet forum has had these debates, and the strong opinions have led to a deal of nastiness.

There are two extreme positions:
    - if it is a shot, it cannot be dangerous (any danger is the defender's fault for being there);
    - the danger rules are being ignored, with too many dangerous shots allowed as goals, or injured defenders penalised with a PS.

On the occasions when the flame wars have subsided enough to let reasonable contributors reach a consensus, that consensus has been:

- it all depends on the shot, the speed and distances involved, the skill-level of defenders and attacker, the state of play, the importance of the competition, and many other factors known only to those who were there...
    - at the highest levels of hockey, very little is judged as dangerous, on the assumption that defenders have the skill to take on almost any shot
    - ... but umpires might still follow the guidance to Rules 9.9 and 13.3L, that a shot striking someone within 5 metres above the knee, can be considered dangerous
    - at beginning and social levels of hockey, inexperienced players must not be left feeling unsafe, and wild shots should be penalised to encourage attackers to care for safety
    - ... so umpires can reasonably extend the 'within 5' to 7, 10, or even 14, and sometimes rule it 'dangerous' even if the ball misses everyone
    - at the majority of hockey in-between, it is back to the umpire's judgement, based on experience, what they've read on the Internet, and discussions in the bar
    - ... so after a game with such a decision, you'll have this debate with a fellow umpire and a couple of other players

Mod. edit 3/11/11: redundant smiley code from old board (":boring:") removed

reshyam, theYoungster, Ratzs and 6 others like this.
  4. dodgeyumpires

dodgeyumpires FHF Regular Player

Wow... so why the hell were all those insults flown around??? All that needed to be said was that...

Summed up perfectly! :yes:

5. Moody_Git

Moody_Git FHF Regular Player

This should be etched in stone and stickied at the top of the forum!

6. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Yep, great post Diligent.

reshyam likes this.
  7. m0rph3us

m0rph3us FHF Regular Player

I agree, a concise and fair summary Diligent!

8. Kersim

Kersim FHF Starter

Great Reply Dilligent - Clear and concise...!!

Each hockey season I do a fortnightly or monthly email-out to all my association umpires with tips and tricks of the trade. If you don't mind and with your permission, can I use your post as one of my "mail outs?"

Cheers
    kersim

reshyam likes this.
  9. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

Yes but Diligent we know that no matter how perfectly you sum up the interpretation on this, there will always be some people with different views.

reshyam likes this.
  10. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

I think Diligent's post is perfectly in line with the rules.

11. Diligent

FHF Moderator

Thanks everyone. I simply posted the essence of what you have all written.

If I may pick one, the post I appreciate most is Deegum's. We have had our differences, and it's good to have his agreement.

12. Diligent

FHF Moderator

These posts were made to a Sin Bin discussion, with evidence from the Olympics that truly dangerous shots are penalised, and that none of the serious injuries happened to a defender on the line.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.