Indoor Crazy or revolutionary? Australia indoor keeper

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by DoubleR, Dec 8, 2010.

1. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

I think the gloves are a bit too padded.

2. greenkeeper

greenkeeper FHF Starter

Just the style of padding i've been using about 20 years ago for indoors lol

No padded shorts in order to move quicker. For the left hand i had cut some 'padding' out of a fitness mat and put it into my icehockey gloves. Yes, was the time where you were allowed to shortly 'catch' the ball and then let it drop on the floor - oh i really loved doing these 'drop kicks'. Also loved picking up the ball and running along the sideline dribbling the ball with my stick nearly into the opposite circle (and seeing my coach almost getting a heartattack rofl).

Now a 'few' years later i am a lazy, well padded keeper hanging around in my circle and waiting for the balls coming on me... ;)

3. Charter

Charter FHF Newbie

hey guys,

I am the aus keeper your talking about (andrew charter), so to answer the questions your asking i play with no shorts for the obvious reason that has been said before that it makes me quicker and the reason for the gloves is so i can play the ball compentently outside the circle also make backstick tackles etc.

only downside is they arent padded so if theres a full blooded shot its pretty painful. I learnt it off peter mcnally and scott kovacs ex aus keepers.

and i change the glove for a normal blocker on PCs.

4. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Intressting It will be fun to see you in the world cup I have thought much about the whole idea since this thread came up and I find the whole idea intressting but it wouldnt fit my way of playing the way im currently doing it

I think either it will work great in the world cup as it got a bit of a shock value or it will fail because your unable to make standard hand saves but it will certainly be something different

5. Moody_Git

Moody_Git FHF Regular Player

You still wear a box, right?

6. Charter

Charter FHF Newbie

of course that would be ridiculous not too.....

plus it seemed to work reasonably well against poland so getting use to it on the international stage...

7. Charter

Charter FHF Newbie

also i think some said i was wearing obo leg guards, their actually Mazon but cant see the branding due to the covers.

8. Moody_Git

Moody_Git FHF Regular Player

I'm glad to hear it for your sake ;)

9. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

Mr Charter many thanks for joining in this thread which I had started off!!! I, and I'm sure everyone else on this, really appreciate you taking the time to enter the discussion.

If its worked against one of the top ranked indoor teams in the world then that's the acid test! Best of luck in the WC, I will indeed be there in person to see this in the flesh.

I'm now thinking whether I could pull this off outdoor........

10. hot shot viks

hot shot viks FHF Legend

Did this dude play in the WC? I don't recall seeing him in any of the short highlight reels!

Would of been nice to see how this worked out! :)

viks

11. D-Fence

D-Fence FHF Regular Player

According to the squadlist on the official WC page he was not part of it.

12. hot shot viks

hot shot viks FHF Legend

aah, sad times! :(

13. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

I've been playing for a good number of years now, but only very recently tried indoor hockey.

First couple of weeks I played in my full kit (similar to my profile pic), but soon dropped the elbow pads (for soft sponge pads, volleyball ones maybe - just to prevent bruises when diving) and throat protector. This was purely as I felt far too hot and sweaty playing indoors (and this was in the middle of an English winter, so I don't envy those in warmer climes!).

Was still too hot, and figured that as the ball is lighter and couldn't be hit I'd ditch the shorts. I now play with an abdo under some regular soccer shorts (those with a little sponge down the sides, protects the hips same way as my elbow pads). Haven't looked back, although did pick up a nasty looking bruise from a PC drag flick save.

Wasn't inspired by this thread, but I'd recommend considering alternatives.

14. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

the ball is the same weight :yes:

15. Jonty

Jonty FHF Legend

Ooops! I always thought they were lighter or different somehow - always seem to notice when one is mixed in with the balls at training as they seem to fly off.

Either way, I think my logic stands, in that your only likely to be hit in your thighs from a flick - unlike outdoor where there's undercuts etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'd never dream of going without for outdoor hockey :eek:

16. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

Does anyone know where I could find some video of this hybrid gk/ kicking back style? YouTube says "no".

17. Grim_D

Grim_D FHF Regular Player

Not to needlessly bump this thread, and didn't seem worth creating a new one, but seems like there are a few other indoor goalies in Oz using a similar approach to the one Andrew Charter was using when DoubleR noticed way back when.

Following clip shows goalkeeper using ice hockey player's gloves and then changing left hand, although unfortunately no actual action footage of him playing like a kicking back per say:

And Malcom Beer pictured using a similar approach (LHP on here for a PC):

http://www.goulburnpost.com.au/story/1778935/aussie-return-brewing/

He has also been selected for the national team indoor squad, so this method would theoretically be getting used at the highest levels of hockey again

http://nthockey.asn.au/News/Nationa...ID/1387/Australia-Mens-Indoor-Squad-Announced

Would be interesting to know if any Aussies had seen any of them in action and thoughts etc.?!

18. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

Figured I'd just resurrect this thread instead of making a new one since it's the same topic. I'm thinking of trying the ice hockey gloves if I can, just to see what it's like, but how high a level should the gloves be? I'm currently looking at the following ones
    http://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_Supreme_TOne_MX3_Gloves_Black_12/descpage-BSTMGJ.html
    Top of the line Bauer
    http://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_Supreme_190_Gloves_Blk_Wht_12/descpage-BS19GJ.html
    Next level down
    http://www.icewarehouse.com/Bauer_Supreme_170_Gloves_Black_12/descpage-BS17GJ.html
    Next level down again, which are the only ones I can find in Australia

19. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Uhmmm... Why would you want to do that?
    I had these a decade or so ago and would never go back. The foam gloves are so much better.

20. LuluGoalie

LuluGoalie FHF Top Player

For the reasons outlined above