Indoor Crazy or revolutionary? Australia indoor keeper

Discussion in 'Goalie Zone' started by DoubleR, Dec 8, 2010.

1. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

I've seen pictures of the Australia indoor GK playing in friendlies vs Poland. He is wearing OBO kickers and legguards, no padded shorts, chestpad, itech helmet, no arm guards..... and ice hockey gloves. That's ice hockey gloves on both hands, including the left hand. Does anybody have any insight to this? Seeing as you can't catch the ball what is he doing with his left hand when the ball's in the air?! Punching it? Finger tip-ing over the bar? What about a smack on the un-padded palm..?! Note: he isn't a kicking back per-se but an actual nominated GK by the look of it (different shorts, etc.)

2. haggis

haggis FHF Top Player

any links to the pics?

3. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I can understand if he is not wearing any shorts or armpads but a Icehockey glove as a LHP sounds weird I wonder if he hold the stick like a normal fieldplayer when playing but it must be pretty useless for corners if he is not changing gloves for corners?

4. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

I think he's talking about non-GK ice hockey gloves... ;)

But in my mind the biggest revolution in recent years is the cut down hook of the stick and probably if there is some lighter gear just for indoor use. Which is pretty useless as we saw with the indoor gear by OBO

Can't see me playing w/o pants or chestguard w/ full armguards indoors...

I'm interested in the videos too!

5. AndyGaut

AndyGaut FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    TK GK 1.1, OBO Fatboy, Malik Black Magic
  6. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

His butt has to be dark blue after the test matches... :D
    The only + of the left glove I can think out is that you can potentially push off the floor faster because you can use your fist not only the flat palm of a hand protector....

7. hot shot viks

hot shot viks FHF Legend

I dont see the logic in it myself.. no arm guards... and possibly the shorts I can unsrestand, but to use hockey gloves is a bit extreme.. ball will hurt if you save it surely!

viks

8. VeteranKeeper

VeteranKeeper FHF Top Player

What's his name?

9. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Only thing I can see for the LH glove is that you can hold the stick in a relatively normal way and you can effectively play as and extra field player. And he is probably betting on the extra speed he has without the shorts to close down the forwards before they have the chance to get a hard shot away.

I must say it is a very innovative way of thinking, but it has to prove itself at international level.

@ Rado: he is wearing a chestpadj "just" no arms or shorts.

10. biggaygoalie

biggaygoalie FHF Regular Player

The RSA indoor GK used to do this with a LHP blocker behing the goal for corners. His theory being that he could play as a 6th field player when his side had posession in a kind of pivot position. I didn't see it in action with a team that was used to it so it's difficult to comment on the effectiveness. I'd have thought that if it worked, more would do it. But at the same time, not many GKs have good enough ability with a stick in both hands to play at the same level they keep goal at.

I love the theory though, pretty aggressive stuff.

11. Gambit

Gambit FHF Starter

Probably he has chosen his outfit in order to gain speed and flexibility.

Its a mixture of a revolutionary idea with a dose of craziness.

As my coach used to say as a joke in order to be a good goalkeeper you must either be dump or crazy lol

12. Rutter

Rutter FHF Regular Player

Frankly, when I started, the helmet would have been considered a sign of mental weakness

I remember when it was all fields around here.............

13. otss

otss FHF Top Player

Not sure it could be called revolutionary - some of us where wearing those type of gloves 25 years ago - In fact they were the cats pyjama's of keepers gloves (or similar - Coopers was the brand then) - Just another retro throw back to the 80's

14. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

We breed them tough down under !

The lack of padding in the glove helps when holding the stick in only the left hand.

My earliest introduction to this style of padding was from Peter McNally (former Australian Indoor Keeper back in the 80's/90's)

The story goes that he used to play as a six field player and would stand somewhere near the half line. Trap, dummy, drag and pass while wearing two gloves.

The europeans didn't like that so the rules were changed so keepers has to stay closer/inside the circle.

Pete's ability to stop a high shop with the left glove, trap the ball with two hands on the stick as it hit the floor for the first time and fire an accurate pass to a team mate was amazing.

Others have tried to copy the style (myself included) but the only one to get close in terms of effectiveness was Scott Kovacs.

15. Lord Noel

Lord Noel FHF Regular Player

@ Rushman. I train with both those guys and Pete always plays as a very high keeper when playing outdoor, he doesn't have the pads on very much anymore. He told me that he liked to hold the stick with both hands for the exact reason you said which was to play as a 6th field player when in attack.

16. Jello

Jello FHF Newbie

Having just come back from the National Indoor Champs in Wollongong, this same goalie is still playing with this lack of padding. I can confirm that he does keep a left hand protector behind the goals for short corners.

I saw him play in a number of games and he is the type of aggressive keeper that likes to use his stick in and out of the cirlce, hence his preferance for the ice hockey gloves. In all the games I saw him play, I did now see him cop any balls in unprotected areas.

The shorts that he is wearing are his State team shorts (ACT).

I vote that he is crazy!

17. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

Jello... Any idea on his name ?

18. DoubleR

DoubleR FHF Regular Player

I had thought he'd maybe go about as almost a "kicking back". Will hopefully see in action in the flesh at the indoor WC in Feb. Would be interesting with the speed of international indoors if he can pull it off... but i suppose if he couldn't then Australia wouldn't pick him!!

19. Jello

Jello FHF Newbie

Rushman, I believe it is Andrew Charter. He is also in the ACT AHL squad.

20. johnnyboy507

johnnyboy507 FHF Top Player

Hat off to the man, i can understand the shorts fully, the gloves up to a point. Just goes to show everyone has to find their best style of play and work your kit around your playing style. If i was asked to play like that, the reply would very swiftly turn to bleeps and expletives, looks far to exposed for my old bones and reactions. Good skills tho