Colour blindness and ball selection

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by Spunko, Sep 16, 2008.

1. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

Wasn't meaning you Snoody - I was meaning the mythical person who can't seem to see any hockey ball

(I can't see the white ones properly under lights...)

I was meaning that if someone can't see the ball, and they continue to play and get hurt, it's their fault not the umpire's, unless the umpire was allowing play to continue with an illegal ball or one that wasn't white but that the captains hadn't agreed on.

2. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

I think what we are talking about is people who through their own experince have discouvered that they have a problem seeing a certain coloured ball under the flood lights and they draw this problem to the attention of the umpires.
    Some have problems with seing white balls and some have a problem seeing orange balls.
    It is not that they continue playing when they cannot see the ball, it arises when you have players say on one side have a problem with seeing a white ball and players on the other side seeing an orange ball.
    Then it is back to the rule book, a white ball has to be used. So in the interests of safety all players who cannot see that coloured ball cannot play.

3. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

I agree Grumpy, but it has to be the player's decision not to play (or their coach's decision not to put them on the field) the umpire can't be held liable in that situation

4. Grumpy

Grumpy FHF Legend

Not all the umpire cannot be held responsible at all.
    Players and coaches have to make that decision.

5. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

It's interesting for those of us who've played on grass in near-darkness that it sometimes actually seems harder to see the ball under mediocre lights (presumably again something to do with the colour of the light?).

In my case, of course, it's harder to see most things now than when I was 25 :eek:

6. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

I hate to do this............ :p

but given the concerns raised about insurance liability ( gee it must be difficult living in the UK now)

The relevant rule WAS
    The traditional colour of the ball is white, but the team captains may agree upon the use of a ball of any other colour so long as it contrasts with the colour of the field of play.

(only the captains party to the decision)

The rule IS
    ( changed in the great rewrite of 1996, the greatest B***up in the history of hockey :growl: )

d ( the ball) is made of any material and coloured white (or an agreed colour which contrasts with the playing surface)

So do the umpires now get a part in the agreement? :yes:

Or are they confined to ruling that the colour isn't contrasting?

Yea Justin, I could see the solution to all the world's problems back then.

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Only if you live your life according to urban myths and the hysterical world view of the Daily Mail and its readers.

8. Spunko

Spunko Guest

9. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

of course
    So long as it meets the other requirements as well
    weight 156-163 grams...........
    Got some really really heavy foam?

10. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

I rely on the London Daily Telegraph for my info on life in the UK :yes:

( and this forum of course. lol )

11. Spunko

Spunko Guest

Nope but I've got some really heavy glass/metal we could use! :yes: An aliminuim ball?! Sounds dangerous! :no:

12. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

The size versus weight restrictions limit the materials which could practically be used.

But I do think the ball manufacturers could do with a bit of creativity in their design departments.

13. Spunko

Spunko Guest

What type of creativity? Can you think of an alternative to the current composition?

It would be good to research how much energy is lost when the ball is struck as a result of the composition of the ball and how you could reduce this. However making a hockey ball with a coefficient of restitution similar to a golf ball could be dangerous!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_restitution

14. g9

g9 FHF Legend

Surprised no one on here has tried making one of cardboard or MDF... ;)

15. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Creativity means having new ideas....if they're known and have already been tried they aren't new :p

I have suggested that softer or heavier balls might counteract 'high-power' stick technology, and that putting reflective material in (bigger?) dimples might make 'em more visible under lights.

It's they who need to be creative..... I don't make balls...... (only balls-ups, as someone would no doubt have suggested lol )

16. Spunko

Spunko Guest

I like your thinking though. It'd be rather interesting to see the results of some of the manufacturers experiments! :yes:

17. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

With my usual debating skills in post #65 I included a couple of irrelevant remarks that drew attention from my point.. so here is the edited version:

Given the concerns raised about insurance liability of umpires I draw attention to the following change in the rules for comment

The relevant rule WAS
    The traditional colour of the ball is white, but the team captains may agree upon the use of a ball of any other colour so long as it contrasts with the colour of the field of play.

(only the captains party to the decision)

The rule IS
    ( changed in the great rewrite of 1996, the greatest B***up in the history of hockey Growl )

d ( the ball) is made of any material and coloured white (or an agreed colour which contrasts with the playing surface)

So do the umpires now get a part in the agreement?

Or are they confined to ruling that the colour isn't contrasting?

18. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

just be lucky....

a team here uses silver balls....cant see em any time of day.

and to cap it off....Ive seen green and gold and black balls....

though I have had issues with white balls on the new field turfs...it seems many kookaburra balls pick up the black rubber and it gets hard to see by half time....the orange grays...doesnt have the same problem.