Colour blindness and ball selection

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by Spunko, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Spunko

Spunko Guest

Here's a question for the umpires out there.

We regularly used to have debates with opposition teams about which colour ball we should use.In England it is not uncommon for teams to play with orange balls as well as white.

One of the members of our team was colour blind and could not define orange from green which is obviously a problem when playing on a green pitch with an orange ball!

Is there anything in the rules about this and if you were umpiring a game in this situation how would you deal with the situation?

2. G

G FHF All Time Great

I too have a red/green colour blind issue, as do 2 or 3 others. I've always approached the umpires before a game where it looks like an orange ball is going to be used and explained the situation.

Never had a problem. I always keep a couple of decent white match balls in my bag - just in case when we play away they try to use the arguement that they don't have a white one.... :rolleyes:

3. Snoody

Snoody FHF All Time Great

I also have big problems with coloured balls - especially under floodlights. It's really tough for me to discern an orange ball under lights, especially against our heavily-sanded pitch.
    I'll always insist on a white one, and have instructed my clubs to use only white balls against me during shooting / PC drills. It's no fun when the first time you see an undercut is after it bounces off your chest...

The pertinent rule says:
    3 Ball
    3.1 The ball :
    a is spherical
    b has a circumference of between 224 mm and 235 mm
    c weighs between 156 grams and 163 grams
    d is made of any material and coloured white (or an agreed colour which contrasts with the playing surface)
    e is hard with a smooth surface but indentations are permitted.

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

What rule book is that Snoody!? :eek:

In my copy of the 2007/08 Rules of Hockey, rule 4.7 states:

So if the two captains can't agree on an alternative colour the ball should be white; unless a white ball does not contrast with the playing surface in which case they have to agree on an alternative colour that is acceptable to both. Umpires shouldn't really get involved in such a decisions if they can help it, because they will almost inevitably upset one team before the game as even started and that's not a good idea.

The rules are available on-line here, Spunko. Most basic queries can be answered by a quick scan through them.

5. Spunko

Spunko Guest

Thanks red, I was also interested in seeing whether other people had experienced this problem. Interesting to note that the problem appears to be quite common.

Also I can't think of a time when a white ball would not contrast with the playing surface? ??? Any examples?

6. Twister

Twister FHF Regular Player

When it's snowing?

If the players come to me with a request for a certain colour then I leave it up to the captains to reach an agreement. What I don't like is players asking to change the ball during play (shortly after half time in one recent instance...) because they can't see it. If you've got an issue, please sort it before the game (unless conditions have changed dramtically - e.g. snow)!

7. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

I'll disagree with you red.

The ball is white unless agreed otherwise.

If the captains can't agree on an " alternative" ........ and there is a problem with a white ball........( not a great design of pitch!!!)
    There's a problem

I suspect the answer is for the umpire(s) to decline to umpire because he/they can't see it.

What alternatives are there, realistically other than orange?
    I've seen other colours but never on a quality ball.

A number of years ago the Aus Vets Championships were played in Canberra.
    One pitch was brand new sand filled
    White sand.
    Lots of it.
    And, especially under lights, the white ball was all but invisible
    But a tournament condition was that White ( Kookaburra) balls be used- sponsors requirement
    Tournament organisers insisted nothing else could besed
    A number of matches were played under this directive till a couple of captains said " enough" and used orange.

I had a team mate who walked off the field if an orange ball came on.

And where I have played Orange is almost always used.
    Naturally, we always had a supply of white ones.

Snoody maybe your colour problem extends to rule books? :)

That rule book was 2003, not 2008.
    well 3 and 8, easily confused with red numbers on orange background_ at least mine is.

rofl rofl rofl

8. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

Twister - or if the floodlights are turned on?

For some reason our club has some yellow balls - and they are impossible to see under lights. Like Snoody I'll insist those aren't used in drillls involving our keepers.

9. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Snoody quoted precisely what it says in the Field and Equipment Specifications on page 57 of the 2007-08 Rule book.

Looking towards a low sun, many pitches are quite white. And with the glare an orange ball is easier to see than a white one.

Under lights, it seems whatever the colour of the ball, it's OK at some places and disappears in other parts of the pitch.

It always helps if the ball is clean.

10. philthy

philthy FHF All Time Great

Interestingly, I struggle to see white balls under lights!

But I also struggle to see the half way line.. :baffled:

11. G

G FHF All Time Great

Picture - Goosedale - Nottingham and Mansfield's home ground.... :rolleyes:

[img width=600]http://www.northnottshc.net/photogallery/20080823/img_1079.jpg[/img]

White is not too good!!!

Kookaburra supply quality balls for sand based pitches in White, Orange and Pink...

[img width=300]http://www.hockeycentre.com/acatalog/LB401_Dimple_Standard%20600.jpg[/img]

12. David_Underdown

David_Underdown FHF Regular Player

I've certainly sometimes found that an orange ball is easier to pick on a sandy pitch. If the home team pulls out an orange ball, I'll double-check with the away captain that they're OK with that, and on a few occasions one or other captain has specifically said "such and such is colourblind, can we definitely use a white ball" (it often seems to be the keeper for some reason...) Of course red/green will only be an issue in men's hockey...

13. controller

controller FHF Legend

I think common Sense prevails here,

My club always ask the opposition when they arrive at the pitch if there is any problems with using an white ball, if there is then we change to an orange ball, after that as I said Common sense should be used.

14. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Oh yeah - so he did! :sorry:

Didn't think to look beyond 4.7...

Apologies all round.

15. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

White balls on a black playing surface might be the ideal? ;)

16. philthy

yellow on black actually

tarmac pitches anyone?

17. redumpire

FHF Moderator

I thought it was the other way round philthy: i.e. that black on yellow is the best colour combination for signs when considering the needs of the visually impaired.

Black ball, yellow pitch...?

18. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I think some research has shown that pale green is the most visible colour for the majority of people..... but probably not on a sandy green pitch!

19. philthy

well i knew it was black and yellow...
    black ball yellow pitch sounds ideal though

make it nice and easy to find the ball when it flies over the fence into the trees... ;)

20. Spunko

Spunko Guest

My first league game is away at Mansfield this season! Oh what joy!