Coaching Philosophy

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by sbatewilliams, May 15, 2017.

1. sbatewilliams

sbatewilliams FHF Top Player

So my new director of hockey is guiding me along my coaching journey.

One of the more recent conversations we have had is about my coaching philosophy. He told me about his and why it is integral to a coach, but it still a very new concept to me.

It has certainly got me thinking and many thoughts are wondering around my mind.

But I am curious as to what other people see with regards to coaching philosophy's...

Do you have one?

Is it set in stone or constantly evolving?

Excited to hear other people's thoughts

sammzib and Glenn_96 like this.
  2. sammzib

sammzib FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Y1 LB 90
    I am currently studying a sports coaching science degree, in one of our modules we discuss this and were tasked with coming up with our own. Basically they may not know it, but all coaches have a philosophy and they are constantly evolving based on our experiences both when being coached and when coaching

sbatewilliams likes this.
  3. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

I have one written out, it evolves as experiances and learning inform it, and in turn it guides my behaviour. It sets out a framework for my discussions with players on our goals. It evolved last year to be formatted in part as a letter that I send out to players so that we can all be clear what I expect from the team.
    Here is a good resource to help you if you want to start a document for yourself.
    https://prezi.com/8q-vjfz8plih/building-your-coaching-philosophy-step-by-step/

4. MKochar

MKochar FHF Legend

Better thinkers make better players.
    Make them actually have to make decisions all the time, rather than 'drill' them and have decisions made for them.

Try not to learn a skill in isolation, learn the skill to start a drill or gameplay situation, that way they execute it to enable the situation to commence. That is them learning under pressure and them learning the drill too, but then having to make subsequent decisions afterwards.

5. sbatewilliams

that link has been really helpful! Been mulling over different concepts that i think are integral to my coaching. But this really helped me piece them together!

6. sbatewilliams

Thanks!

Really agree with this! Are you aware of Stuart Armstrong? Has a blog called the talent equation? Im sure you would find his insights really interesting! Similar mindset to what you have just said

7. MKochar

MKochar FHF Legend

Yeah - been subscribed to The Talent Equation for a bit.

8. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

Hi

Check out my blog
    http://myyearhockeycoaching2017.blogspot.com.au/

I have a couple of posts there on coaching philosophy and in particular what my thoughts are on it. When I first started my philosophy was 2-3 pages I can now boil it down into 1 paragraph, but that has taken 18 plus years to get to that point.

If you want any advice let me know happy to chat further.

9. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

Hi
    I am a big believer in player empowerment and play focussed approach to coaching, it takes the coach out of the centre of attention and puts the players firmly in the centre of attention. Its not an easy thing to bring into place as you get allot of resistance from players, but the key is to hold the to the concept and gradually your players will adapt and move with it.