Coaching interchanging of positions

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by Rob Morris, Sep 3, 2017.

1. Rob Morris

Rob Morris FHF Newbie

Hi,
    Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere, I couldn't find it. I'm just new to the forum.
    I would like my players, particular my midfielders, to be able to interchange their positions more comfortably. Talking about it is one thing, but does anyone have any good drills to encourage this type of fluidity in a team?
    Thanks,
    Robert

2. JE87

JE87 FHF Starter

Stick/s:
    Ritual - various to suit my coaching needs!
    You can do it within a small-sided game - for example 6v6, split the small pitch into 3 zones, allowing 2 players per team in each zone. However, players are allowed to interchange across zones. If you also say that the defending team should man-mark against the team on the ball, you and the players will be able to see the interchange become more effective when it makes space in certain areas on the pitch.

TheThinkingCoach likes this.
  3. Rob Morris

Rob Morris FHF Newbie

Thanks JE87. That sounds like an excellent one. I'll try it out this week.

4. TheThinkingCoach

TheThinkingCoach FHF Newbie

Great suggestion JE87.

Think you have made a good point here Rob Morris. Even though its a different sport, if you read about any of the success that Cruyff had at Ajax and Barca and Pep at Barca and Bayern, they are both big on interchanging positions, defenders attacking and attackers defending ect.

Similar to JE87s suggestion I would play an 7v7 game on just under half a pitch, one team defends the main goal, the other team defends 3, 5 yard gates. Soon as the team that is attacking the gates gets the ball through the gate, they turn around and attack the big goal. Often this will mean your defenders end up being the highest players on the pitch and attackers deepest. I would encourage midfielders to float to different areas so see if they can create overloads.

Good luck, would love to know how it goes!

Rob Morris likes this.