Centre Pass infringements Q?

Discussion in 'Field Play outside the "D"' started by Neo, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Hi all,

The rules on centre passes say the following...

6.4 Taking a centre pass
    a taken at the centre of the field
    b it is permitted to play the ball in any direction
    c all players other than the player taking the centre pass must be in the half of the field which includes the goal they are defending
    d the procedures for taking a free hit apply.

Procedures for taking a free hit, centre pass and putting the ball back into play after it has been outside the field :
    a the ball must be stationary
    b the ball is pushed or hit and must move at least one metre before another player of the team which took the free hit is allowed to play it...

The definitions/statements in 6.4 above are clear, particularly 6.4c on where players must be. However, the procedure for taking a (centre) pass is dynamic, i.e. it has a beginning where nothing has happened, then an action (pass/hit) and subsequent play. But the centre pass is cued by a whistle for a restart, and in 90% of the cases, the pass is taken as soon as the whistle is blown, and the players from both sides are free to cross the centre line, and play continues. Many players use the whistle as a cue for the beginning of play and interpret it as the action of taking the centre pass and move off straight away, and in most cases the errors in timing of crossing the centre line by other players is negligible.

However, in some games, (often juniors, but not always) there can be a delay between the whistle being blown and the centre pass commencing. How pedantic/tolerant are other umpires of this premature crossing of the centre line when a pass is taken? (assuming the pass is considered 'taken" when the ball is hit)

2. Kirk

Kirk FHF Regular Player

I don't really pull it up unless is has a effect on play. If someone crosses at a walking pace as many do, I would allow it as long as they gain no advantage from it. The main player on the team not taking the free hit I watch is the center forward, if he / she crosses early and is able to tackle the person receiving the pass, I will award the other team a free hit and caution them that they must wait for the ball to be played, not the whistle in future.

It really comes down to the "Applying the Rules" part of the umpiring section of the rule book, "...when no benefit is gained by the offender, unnecessary interruptions to the flow of the match cause undue delay and irritation. If the early crossing of the center line had no affect on the match, is it necessary to pull it?

3. keely

keely FHF Legend

I hardly ever see this. If it causes a disadvantage to the team taking the centre pass, call it. Otherwise, verbalize to the players that you expect them to wait until the ball has been played.

4. controller

controller FHF Legend

I have got to agree with Keely on this one, common sense comes into play as I ahve only ever seen this at the lower levels of hockey, schools and say 5th/6th & 7th Team Level.

5. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

More of a problem at lower levels is that after conceding a goal, the taker is ready to play the pass but the opposition forwards still are not back to their own half.

Do you whistle to get on with the game, or wait?

I tend to blow anyway, then check that no one takes unfair advantage. Most players do reach halfway before rejoining the game.

6. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Generally not an issue at higher levels but agree at lower levels does occur.

Me i wait until all players are in the correct half of the ground, if they are not making an effort to get back a quickly, a whistle usually suffices. Stops other issues if you do not make teams get back, would you then card a player that has not regained his/her correct starting position if they played the ball, you could consider it a professional foul.

Commonsense should apply

Just my thoughts

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I'd only penalise it if the players breaking the line early gain an advantage.

8. johnreiss

johnreiss FHF Top Player

9. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Ahhh, yes. Yet another reason for umpires to come and have fun in America.

In high school games, governed by the NFHS (National Federation of State High School Associations) rule modifications, after the umpire blows his whistle to start the center pass, the kids on either team are allowed to run offsides. The starter has 5 seconds to play the ball.

What happens?

Typically, only the attack tends to be the folks who run offsides -- they run and the starter waits. As some of the sprinting attackers are approaching the circle, the starter tries to WHACK the ball as hard as she can -- she times it perfectly with the cries from her coach to, of all things, "WHACK THE BALL!!!!"

Wow! What skill, ..what beautiful hockey!!! What about the attacker who gets hit with a rising ball in the back of the head as she was running ahead of the ball? (OUCH!)

I'd say about 75% of the teams do this. The better teams do not.

Percentage of effectiveness, as measured by the attack actually coming up with the ball, I'd say is only about 0.05% but, they do it anyway, over and over and over.

:(

Cheers...Cris

10. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

sounds like a quality tactic :sorry: lol

Although i've seen something similar done here, where the centre is hit off the side line near to the end of the pitch, in order to gain territory :eek:oh:

11. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Most games i play the forwards are on the line, but it doesn't matter as the team with possession either passes right back to the defence or if they play it short the opposition are generally fast enough to close the passes down. Can see how you could get an advantage but you rarely do.

12. Neo

Neo Technical Moderator

Yep Craggsy, that's pretty much it - I had a spectator point out to me that a left winger took off into forward territory before the ball had been hit - in the periphery of my vision - but what you describe is what happened, no chance to get a pass through the opposition, so no advantage gained - let the game continue.

never ceases to amaze me though how a non-participant gets fixated on one particular item or sequence in a game to the exclusion of everything else lol

13. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

The opposition forwards breaking early may pressure you but they leave space where they have just run from so its 50:50 really.

14. oz32

oz32 FHF Newbie

Guys,

Just remember that one of the major things an umpire can do wrong is to umpire with one specific rule in mind.  We need to take a wholistic view of the Rule Book when interpreting a situation.

Remember this one?

"12.1 Advantage : a penalty is awarded only when a player or team has been disadvantaged by an opponent breaking the Rules.

If awarding a penalty is not an advantage to the team which did not break the Rules, play must continue.
    "

Simple, really

Mind you - the US interpretation seems a bit "weird"

15. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Yes, Oz, you do wonder whether the people who dreamed-up these 'US local rules' agreed that the rest of the World clearly needed to be shown how the game should be played :rolleyes:

16. keely

keely FHF Legend

I believe from the very first response forward, each poster said exactly this. We remember.

17. veronica pimplebottom

veronica pimplebottom FHF Regular Player

At Manchester - Euro's the Dutch team wingers on attacking and defending centres purposely moved 3 or 4 m offside well before the whistle... Nothing at all was said. Fair enough they didnt then sprint up the field to gain an advantage so:
    a) why do it?
    b) they MUST have had an advantage on defending centres, as just by being in the opponents half they were cutting the options down for the C pass options?

18. keely

keely FHF Legend

Well, either they did or they didn't - in the judgment of the umpires.

Trust me, at that level we see it, we just make the decision as to whether it matters or not.

19. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

... and most early posts said it only happened at lower levels.

I'll be at Eurohockey tomorrow (Tues 21st) and see for myself. Got a hotel room walking distance from the Hockey Centre - somone must have cancelled.

20. veronica pimplebottom

veronica pimplebottom FHF Regular Player

I'd noticed that too diligent - that earlier it was only talked about happening at lower levels.

ENjoy the hockey - yesterday it was only the Dutch men who did it. I;ll get a photo of it at weekend - I;m going to finals :p