Cardiff & Met in the EHL

Discussion in 'General Club Tournaments & Competitions' started by Seive, May 24, 2016.

1. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

Just noticed that Cardiff, who missed out on English prem promotion at this seasons playoff have a place in the EHL next year.

Surely that can't be right given they play in the English league structure and that already has 2 places allocated? What would happen if they had been promoted?

2. Stuart Burnside

Stuart Burnside FHF All Time Great

I wouldn't pretend to understand anything about how these competitions work as it's not usually on my radar, but as I read it, they have got a place due to performance in the Eurohockey club champions challenge rather than due to performance in the English league: https://www.cardiffmet.ac.uk/news/Pages/Euro-Hockey-promotion-for-Cardiff-and-Met-Hockey-Club.aspx

3. Seive

Seive FHF Top Player

I thought that too, but you aren't meant to be able to enter that competition if clubs from your home league are already taking part in the upper echelons of the European competition. Other wise Dutch div 2 teams would surely enter and get promoted all the way through to EHL?

4. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Here's the email that EHL just sent out:

EDIT: Cardiff & Met must be Wales's champions, as the EHF Regs require that each country's first nominated team must be their champions. I assume that Hockey Wales run a cup competition for all senior Welsh teams to determine who their Champion is, given that their teams play in the English Hockey system and in separate North & South Welsh leagues? That must be what the Men's Championship was set up to determine?

#4 redumpire, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  5. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Places in EHL come down to the total points each country wins over the last 3(?) years in the various Euro club comps. Current year comps count at 100%, last years at 75% and 2 years ago at 25%.

With Cardiff &Met winning the trophy this year (and more points than 1st and 2nd round losers of EHL????) Wales gained enough points to move up enough places to get 1 place in EHL. They are required to play their national champions...which I think they classify as who wins the Welsh Mens Champonships. This years final is the two Cardiff Uni's (normally it is Cardiff & met Vs Whitchurch). Whitchurch were in the one of the other lower Euro events this year and got a few points there. Simply put, it doesn't matter what league Cardiff &Met play in, they represent Wales and qualify via a Welsh cup comp.

Ireland get 2 places this year. Lisnagarvey and Banbridge so I reckon if it's played along the same lines as this year Garvey get through automatically to the last 16. with Banbridge in a group of 3 against one of the 3rd ranked teams from Ned/Ger/Bel/Esp and a winnable game against the rep from 9-12 countries.

Countries are only allowed to enter max of 3 clubs into Euro comps so you don't get any Dutch/German clubs playing in any of the comps below EHL. Eng/Wales/Ire etc get 2? so no Eng teams in the trophy or below, but the other home nations with teams in the various challenges etc.

Just read the EHL press release and yep -same as last year so next to zero chance of any of the teams from Rus/Sco/Wal/Aut getting to KO16 and Holcombe will be hoping to draw the Esp 3rd team!

#5 wdyw, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
    hock020 likes this.
  6. CG14

CG14 FHF Legend

image.jpeg

GET STUCK IN KELBURNE!