Canada sending the winner of U16 Nats to qualifier for 2010 Youth Olympics

Discussion in 'Pan America' started by Liz, Jan 16, 2009.

1. Liz

Liz FHF Newbie

FHC has made the decision to send the winning team for both the boys and girls U16 national championships to the Youth Olympic Qualifier (for 2010, Singapore).

Just wondering what the hockey community thinks about something like this.

Should a squad of the top 18 be made up from a selection process or should the winner of this one tournament determine who will don the Canadian uniform?

What do you all think?

2. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

It's always better to make a selection of the best players...

This improves the in-team spirit and definitely will lead to better results. If the winning team has the majority of players it's OK but definitely you need the help of some other players....

Our national team is sustained for like 3-4 years (any range group - U 21, Men) from nearly only one team and there's no growth I think... Even when I was playing in the same team I was on the same opinion...

3. Number13

Number13 FHF Regular Player

I think it's a good thing that Canada will at least send a team. It's good diplomacy to be involved in the Pan American hockey activities.

There are two points:

1. This is basically FHC contracting out the U16 "national" team to the winning provincial association. Seeing as how they couldn't send a U21 women's team to Mexico and the U21 men's side was essentially self-funded I think that this is a good compromise for FHC. It'll be a great experience for the winning team.

2. As to whether this should be a team picked from the best players in the tournament, I wouldn't think it feasible at the U16 level. I can't imagine having centralized training for 14/15/16 year olds. Having the winning team go solves that problem.

Overall, it's an opportunity that otherwise probably wouldn't have materialized unless it was done this way.

4. Number13

Number13 FHF Regular Player

and I think it's to represent Canada at the PAHF Youth Championships. Unless that's changed.

5. keely

keely FHF Legend

I think you and Liz are saying the same thing - the PAHF Youth Championships would be this continent's qualifier for the 2010 Youth Olympics.

I agree with Rado that in an ideal situation, you want the best team made up of the best players. However, Number13's point is well-taken that we're so far away from an ideal situation in Canada, this may be the only way Canada can participate. He's absolutely right that the Canadian representatives at this tournament are being "contracted out", but more so, it's the forfeiture of the notion of a national program altogether and that is truly sad.

6. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

I agree with Keely,

Canada is a far cry from what I have seen around the world.

It is making the effort but with most of the goverments focus on ONE sport we havea tough time competing with that.

to send a team is a great option. Unfortunatly most of the teams are still made up of those that can AFFORD to go anyway..so we may lose a few really deserving players to this method.

From what I saw in Toronto...they really shot themselves in the foot with the boys and mens teams there. when you have 12 teams that COULD have made a league but didnt because of rivalrys or petty political junk....it really sadened me.
    Proabaly the best thing I saw was some REALLY dedicated members out there that grabbed a bunch of soccer players and taught the boys to use a stick and made a good showing at the U16 boys tournament.

the level in VAncouver is getting better and if we can gain the momentum again...just right now there is a HUGE gap between premier division and the next level down.

Its been great to see saskatchewan get a team together and compete at the u19 provinials.

Alberta have a really good base but Ill refrain from comments of one coaching member that seems to diminish the boys confidence.

we seriously need some love in this country...from a supporter view and a sponsor view. Hopefully we can make it.

7. Liz

Liz FHF Newbie

Why not host the U16 nationals and give the athletes prior to the tournament notice of a camp post tournament. All those who are interested can remain in the host city for a post tournament ID camp...this will save the flight costs for all involved. The host province (in this case Ontario in partnership with FHC) would be responsible for organizing the 1 week camp (not financing, the athletes are responsible for this).

A predetermined cost/budget can be given to the athletes and they can make the decisions to stay. Then the top athletes from the country (hopefully, but still determined by cost) have the chance to participate.

The current method has the winner of either side attending the qualifier.....What if the winning province has athletes who don't want to participate? Then they just pick up anyone they want from their province?

Any chance of an upset at the event? What if a team, clearly had luck on their side, won a game maybe they shouldn't have in the final......what if they don't want to send the team, use their resources etc......

Just throwing the what ifs out here....because we never know.

8. akuwa derick

akuwa derick FHF Newbie

well i think it is a great opportunity for the players though i feel a selection of different players would be the best alternative to choose the team that will go for the competition in order to give a chance to other players who have got potenciall to play.

9. harish

harish FHF Newbie

10. goliePR

goliePR FHF Starter

i wish them luck and come back to america with a medal! :rolleyes: