Blowing Time at End of Half - again

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by Ballingdon, Nov 29, 2008.

1. aussieump

aussieump FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Justin It might have been OK, in so much that you got away with it, but in a game that was being timed by the umps but what if the game was being centrally timed.

Not sure if you can have both options of keeping time and allowing extra time in the one action.

The aspect of both umpires keeping time is so that if needed control can pass to the NCU, if I was the timing umpire and play was in my circle my co-ump would be the one controlling time, agreed before the game for this to occur, or vice versa as you already have enough on your plate with the play etc to also watch/listen for time, play advantage, check for infringments etc and still blow time when it has eplasped not when you get around to it.

2. aj

aj FHF Starter

Over here in good old New Zealand both umpires are in charge of time for both halfs just like Aussieump says above.

And when it is the umpires controlling time, instead of a technical bench then it is always the Disengaged umpire that blows time as the other umpire has enough to worry about. And it is always on 35.00 no mater where in the field it is. Again just like Aussie ump.

3. controller

controller FHF Legend

Do you know something, this kind of decision should come with something called Common Sense with neutral appointed umpires.

Now with club officials (Umpires) is a different story especially if your colleague is with the opposition and your team in on it's way to score or try to and he blows his whistle in trying to assist his team.

But as I said use common sense and it will win you some games as an umpire

4. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

"Central Timing".....hmmm ...only ever had that at festivals ;)
    I never had a problem with umpiring and timing simultaneously :)

As Controller says, it's a case of applying common-sense (and fairness).... and I think my method is fairer.
    You are playing advantage as full-time approaches, so, knowing that the advantage cannot be taken, you give the PC....what could be fairer?

But I am not going to attempt the impossible ... to convince those with different opinions on this.

And as Controller also implied(I think), there some 'club umpires' I'd prefer not to entrust with timng the end of the game (if you catch my drift), so I usually suggest they control first-half timing :)

5. controller

controller FHF Legend

Nicely put, Justin!! lol

6. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

Justin, have you just jumped the fence?

I thought your first one meant let time go for advantage, but that post reads as 'blow time straight away and let them play the PC'

Personally once we all realise that is the only fair way to do it, the only debate left is about playing advantage. Personally I will always play advantage even in the very late parts of a game, i dont have any quarms about blowing the whistle half a second after the hooter goes.

7. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

So what would we say to the players, when the hooter has gone and then we blow for a PC?

"The foul was before the hooter. No advantage. PC." I'm pretty sure that would work - be accepted by both sides.

Edit: I see that I'm pretty much agreeing with the first replies from Magpie and NITW. It happens fairly often that time is up during an 'exciting' phase of play, leaving me uncomfortable with the way the match has ended. I think theirs is the right way to do it.

8. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

I've been watching this thread develope and am amazed!

The game of hockey is for 70 minutes, not how long we feel it should last to benifit play.

Time is time, 35 or 70 mins up, blow that whistle, end of.

You might as well say, oh that ball on the goal line looked over, that would be an advantage to the attack, I'll give a goal.

NO, NO, NO.

9. Twister

Twister FHF Regular Player

Same here - once the watch goes (mine vibrates - so no-one else knows!) I blow for time.

I'll exchange signals with my colleague on 2 minutes to check I'm not a mile out. But when the game's over, it's over. I won't consciously look to do anything different in the last minute than I do in the first. If the players fail to take an opportunity in time, that's not my fault.

These days most players / teams / coaches are acutely aware of how long there is left, and to start bending time to give a PC, an advantage or anything else isn't fair. One team may like it, but the other surely isn't!!

Keep it simple, when the watch/hooter/siren goes, end the game. It's over!

10. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

For the first time ever this was an issue in my game at the weekend.

My colleague had the time control as he was bench side. At 2 minutes to go on my watch I gave a signal that was not taken by my colleague.. for the next 2 and a bit minutes the play was end to end without a break and very intense.. so much so I never heard my watch beep.. There was a scramble in one of the Ds and a FHD was awarded... and then huge constanation from one of the benches.

Time was stopped and my colleague cam over and asked me how long I had left.. I said we were 30 secs over time.. he had 7 and half minutes left.. obviously forgot to restart watch at some point. AFter checking with match official who agreed with my timing we stopped the game.

The lucky thing is that no goal was scored etc. Could have been a disaster.

A Selector who was present said that I should have blown my watch to end the game if I was sure time was up.... question is, Is anyone ever 100% sure they've got it right? Might be good to have central timiing....

11. controller

controller FHF Legend

This is why I think the Match Official should be involved with the timing of the game.

I believe some Match Officials do talk to the Umpires as they go past and give a 2 minute warning to see if the umpire bench side agrees.

So, I would have agreed with the selector that you should of blown, but I would have blown for a stop clock situation and get my colleague across to discuss the matter with him/her.

12. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

No, NITW, I had just forgotten for the moment my practical way of avoiding this dilemma.

If the ump controlling time is also blowing time, he has the option of converting advantage to a PC as time runs-out...which, as I said seems perfectly fair...there was a PC-worthy offence in normal playing time, so a PC should be played(unless, of course, the attack cocks-up the advantage within normal time :rolleyes: ).

But, as I originally said, if I found myself in charge of time as non-controlling ump, I'd just take a little longer to get my whistle to my mouth(for exactly the same reason) ;)

Stopping and REMEMBERING to re-start your watch is something just about every ump learns about the hard way :(
    I have an agreed signal which is to get my colleague's attention, point to my watch and then make a throat-cutting motion ("I have cocked-up the timing...please take over!" lol )

13. taim

taim FHF Newbie

I would play advantage until advantage is over or generaly wait a couple of seconds if the attacking team are directly attacking the goal(within 22)

14. Smithyt68i

Smithyt68i FHF Newbie

Time is time! you can't get involved in the PC unless your co-ump is looking for your input.

I know some umpires have gone a way from the controling time system and who ever is less involved at the time would blow. this also crates problems.

Any way time is time, if the PC was not given things are missed all the way though games and this is just one of those.

its just highlighted by being in the dying secs of a game.