Bizarre Umpire! Disturbing behaviour!

Discussion in 'Game Management & Communication' started by Spunko, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Spunko

Spunko Guest

I felt I had to share this story as it's the most unusual and disturbing thing I've ever seen on a hockey pitch.

So I was umpiring on Saturday, as I'm injured, in a Midlands Hockey League 2nd Team game, which is of reasonable standard.

First of all we had three umpires which as I'm sure you are aware doesn't go. So myself and the eccentric gentleman were selected to perform the duties with the whistle.

Now this guy had a reputation for giving what you might call random/odd decisions and a number of players had indicated to me before the game that he would be overly biased towards the home side. Now having no prior knowledge of him I gave him the benefit of the doubt but it soon became apparent that he didn't really seem to be interpreting the rules and the game in the same way that most people would.

On a number of occassions I felt I had to have a quiet word with members of both teams just to ease their frustations with the other umpire and try and keep a lid on things.

It all got out of hand five minutes into the second half. A member of the visiting team had expressed his dipleasure at a decision given by the other umpire. Now in my opinion this warranted perhaps a quiet word or at very most a green card as this particular player hadn't really done anything to warrant disciplinary action prior to this.

The other umpire produced the yellow, which again is his prerogative, but there was no real need in my opinion as he didn't use osbscenities or appear intimidating or aggressive. He was just frustrated.

That would be an end to it then?..... No. As the player walked off he said something, but again it wasn't obscene or aggressive. This resulted in the umpire brandishing the red card! Now as the other umpire I wanted to know exactly what had happened to warrant such serious punishment.

So I walked over before the restart and asked. I was met with the reply: "He's not coming back on he said something to me after as he was walking off and I wont put up with it."

I asked him what he'd said.

"I can't remember now but I won't have it!"

I then suggested that the punishment was a little harsh as he would be suspended and he hadn't really stepped out of line up until this point.

He then said: "Ok well I'll rescind the red but he's not coming back on."

Harsh I felt but what else could I do? I agreed and we got the game underway.

Ten minutes later he allows the player he's just sent off back on after saying he wouldn't! This confused me greatly. Very disturbing behaviour.

The whole affair was turned into a bit of a farce whenever the ball was near this character and his behaviour has now resulted in a complaint to the league.

I think the guy sent off may be the first person in the history of hockey to have been shown a red card and then come back on to the pitch! I'm just glad I wasn't playing!

There was no reasoning with this guy, he was just an eccentric, bizarre man. Very strange! I think I handled it as well as I could just by sympathising with the players and trying to share the odd joke with them to keep them onside and happy. Nobody got hurt and that's the main thing I guess!

How do you deal with characters like that?!! :baffled: :baffled: ???

2. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

I thought I was umpiring to my usual high standards..I don't understand your problem lol

3. Spunko

Spunko Guest

rofl

4. roguefailure

roguefailure FHF Regular Player

I feel as an umpire (and I have not umpired many) that you have to be certain with your judgements and stick with them. To send a player off with a red and then rescind it seems to be a ridicolous state of affairs.

5. foozbear

foozbear FHF Regular Player

you dont deal with it....

its his problem NOT yours.

if you umpire fairly and without bias..both teams will see this and you wont have the same issues.

the moment you side with the players it becomes chaos.

the red card and everything is bizarre...but thats a different matter.

6. controller

controller FHF Legend

Sorry, I am going to get slated for this.....

Still report the red card and all the comments to the league.

Explain the situation and see what can be done about the umpire? Maybe he needs some coaching and the MRHUA and BCHUA will assist if requested by your league.

7. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I can't really help here Spunko - sorry. This is so far removed from my umpiring experiences (I have only ever umpired as a neutral) that I don't know where you should begin.

All I can suggest is doing as controller has said and reporting the guy to the appropriate "authorities" suggesting that he's not a competent umpire.

8. Goalie64

Goalie64 FHF All Time Great

I don't think you need to do anything formal at the moment.
    I'll assume that only one of the teams has submitted a complaint to the league.
    The league should then ask you for your input - that's when you get involved. Can I suggest you jot down your thoughts so you can have them ready and in order to make sure you have everything straight in your mind - I'd guess there will have been other incidents in the game as well.

Was the game one where both umpires had to be qualified?

If on the other hand, both teams have "signed off" on the report to the league, it at least acknowledges that his own club realises there is a problem, and then I'd suggest they should either if possible help him out or take him off their umpiring list.

9. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Sounds as if you handled it as well as you could have - calmly letting players vent their frustration at you. On the pitch, there really is nothing more to be done.

Off the pitch I agree with Controller. The red card has been shown and, however the umpire might try to rescind it, the procedure must be followed. You might pretend the "eccentric gentleman" has sent in his Red Card Report Form, but failed to copy you. So send the county/league Discipline Officer your contribution to Item 16. "Optional additional comments / endorsement by second umpire: Please provide details of the incident. If necessary please use an additional sheet."

That should set the wheels in motion. Outcomes will probably include written instruction to the home club that he should not umpire any league game, until he has been coached and passed assessment on friendly games. A possible outcome is that he will not accept coaching, and will instead retire/resign feeling hurt and angry. That would be sad, but necessary.

10. Spunko

Spunko Guest

Valid point but like I said I didn't "side" with them. I sympathised with them. Very different things.

11. foozbear

unfortunatly spunko...sympathising and sideing with them sometimes has no boundry.

I was in a similar situation...I umpired with a guy that thought using the tomahawk style hit was illegal.

I knew it wasnt and umpired the way I would umpire...even though HE tried to tell me to umpire it as illegal.

AFTER the game a guy came up and asked my name...I told him and he said ...you did a great job I am on the state umpires commitee and I am going to recommend you for higher umpiring.

so the way I see it...if I umpire with a doofwad....then it makes me look better.

I have players asking about crazy calls from time toi time...I say...im not really sure but it must have been something. Ill ask him at half/full time.

by then they forget about it.

I always try to remember that the umpires are a team...if he performs bad and you rag on him to players...youve split the team.

the red card is still an issue...and if you report it...HE has to go to a tribunal. If you dont report it your as bad as him.(not trying to be horrible but its the plain facts.)

12. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

While I agree with the principle of supporting your team-mate(s) through thick & thin, there comes a time, IMO, when his/their behaviour may become so outrageous that to continue with such support just makes you look like an idiot, too. Then I believe you are wiser to dissociate yourself from his/their actions.

In this case, I suppose I'd grit my teeth and just try to umpire my end the best I could, and hope the final whistle came quickly.
    If my 'colleague' were as bad as this, I'd certainly write to his club/HUA/league asking them not to appoint him with me in the future, and giving my reasons.

13. controller

controller FHF Legend

I had just got an email from one of our club members asking if this was me!!

:growl: :no: :nono:

There has been some good advice on this subject and it depends on what you do, but, think about it, how you would feel if it was yourself.

If it was myself and I umpired that badly that I was consider to be cheating then it would be time to retire!! :rolleyes:

14. foozbear

Exactly Justin.

Thats how I would approach it too.

though depending on my association within the umpire community, saying you dont want to umpire with a certain umpire could hamper anything you do in the future. You never know who is friends with who...and IF he is as Disasterous as you say...WHY is he STILL umpiring?

If its as you say div 2....is the umpire a club umpire?....when you get the listings...somehow be unavailable for that weekend. given enough notice some associations will find a replacement.

15. foozbear

Unfortunatly controller...you still have common sense...

many of these people umpiring as badly as this dont see they are doing anything wrong.

suprisingly one of the worst umpires I have seen and been thanked for not being as bad as them was a national level umpire.

its not what you know...but who you know.

16. fh4me2000

fh4me2000 FHF Regular Player

Spunko ,what if he showed u a Red card too for questioning him? :p....
    Sounds like you handled it well. I wish if I ever get a Red card, I'll be told to come back on :)...quite crazy I say..

17. justin-old

justin-old FHF Legend

Fortunately, foozbear, I don't have to worry about my 'umpiring career'....I only took it up on a regular basis when I was unable to play any longer, so have no 'aspirations'... ;)

Having said that, I do know what happens if you disagree with a 'senior' person in your HUA....I was declared persona non grata (without my being officially informed), for 4 years, with mine after doing so and had to join a neighbouring county's :rolleyes:

18. controller

controller FHF Legend