Best and or biggest Hockey stadiums

Discussion in 'General Hockey Chit-Chat' started by Lostaam, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

Beat me to it! Never seen an international there though.
    When the World Cup was in Den Haag they used a football ground which is grass, they removed the grass and installed a (AFAIK temporary) artificial pitch. Can get away with the cost in Holland when you get close to 150,000 spectators in the week. Wonder if hockey in the UK ever got to the stage where a tournament can guarantee 20k/day spectators whether that's an option? Doubt they would use Wembley....but maybe a "smaller" ground? However unlikely, what makes it even less likely is the need for two pitches (one for warm-ups) in the nearness.
    Interesting that the Commonwealth games could be in Birmingham therefore not using Lee Valley; wonder where the hockey will be?

2. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

Having recently travelled from the Wagener, I can confirm that transport links are excellent, the bus passes (in both directions) very regularly and it's easy to change onto other transport at Amstellveen or the junction/hub further north. And well into the wee small hour (+ very early on Sundays) too.

However, I noticed a small single-track tram line adjacent to the Wagener which appeared unused, more like a touristy park line than a real tram. What's the story there??

3. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

From speaking to someone about it years ago the line is part of this https://www.museumtramlijn.org/

Howard likes this.
  4. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

Count me in! That is a must!! I remember the trams from the late 70's which kept going until very recently, although no doubt those are much older. Fantastic stuff...thanks!!

5. Lostaam

Lostaam FHF Starter

I just don't rate a bus connection as an "excellent" transport connection... Hey Amsterdam (Amstelveen is an adjacent part) is a city , you'd expect something better.

6. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

A bus route with loads of buses and a tram/metro station 10 minutes walk away, what else do you want?

7. Lostaam

Lostaam FHF Starter

The tram stop (some maps show optimistically "M", but this is a tram to a railroad station outside the city centre). It is between 2000 and 2100 metres from Wagener Stadion. Only Mo Farah could achieve this in 10 minutes.

[​IMG]

8. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Ok so it takes 15 minutes not 10 big deal.

The metro goes to central station, meaning you could get a train in to Amsterdam get on the metro, walk 15 minutes and you're at the venue. Or you get off at Amsterdam Zuid and get a train to schiphol, super easy. The tram then takes you back in to the centre of Amsterdam, past the big museums and the big bus interchange at leidseplein. I know this as I've used all of these many times and its super easy, when compared to other public transport and hockey venues.

9. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

????????????
    What's better than a bus that turns up every 5 to 10 minutes? Or should we expect our own personal limmo driven by Charles? And using a bus rather than self-driving means you can have a beer, or two, or seven. The public transport system in and around Amsterdam is way better than anything I've seen in the UK outside London. You should try getting back from Manchester to Bolton after midnight, or Manchester Airport to Bolton after 10.30pm....

10. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

0.77 miles (roughly). A reasonably fit adult should do that in just over 10 mins. I (at 58) walk at a touch under 4mph even with a bag and I'm not hurrying, so that's a 12 min walk!! Top stuff considering at home it's 25 mins to my local station!!

11. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

I had no problem whatsoever using the bus from Haarlem to Amstelveen and then a connecting bus to the stadion, and that was first thing Sunday morning. Did have a problem sorting out their baffling chippenkaart system...I'm sure we paid over the odds....grrrr....but their public transport's worth it. The buses even have screens on telling you the next few stops and arrival time AND the times of the connecting buses and where they go. marvellous, and someone whinges about "catching a bus". Grrrr pt.II.

12. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Chipcard is great, I've had one for years, just top up 25 Euros everytime I go and I can travel pretty much anywhere. Now if only we had a UK wide travel card system...

13. Theory

Theory FHF Legend

Stick/s:
    Magnum Lolly
    Getting to and from Wagener stadium was very easy by bus. I was never waiting more than about 5 minutes for one of the three buses that went there from Amstelveen.

The 'Amsterdam and Regions' paper travel card would probably be better for most visitors than the chippenkaart one.

14. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

It probably is - but not for one/two day tourists even though there is an anonymous version. I was told the places to top up were limited and a two-day card was the better option. Still not convinced I wasn't scammed by someone wanting the commission! But If I were a regular visitor I would certainly go for the OV Chipcard.

15. Crampo

Crampo FHF Starter

Nice to have a mention for my team in the video as well as my home pitch!

Hartleyvale is absolutely stunning, I've attached a photo from my visit there earlier in the year.

Attached Files:

16. Lostaam

Lostaam FHF Starter

[​IMG]

Oranje Rood , Eindhoven (Netherlands).
    stadium cap = 2050

17. Lostaam

Lostaam FHF Starter

One of the few (only?) "black" dutch hockeyclubs HC Feijenoord plays in brand new Olympia Park in innercity Rotterdam

cap = 1300

[​IMG]

clubhouse is a stunner

[​IMG]

18. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Well that's amazing, how many lottery tickets do I have to buy to get one of those...

19. Lostaam

Lostaam FHF Starter

Finally after 30 years Kampong got a new clubhouse (5.5 million euro) for its 3500 members.

And....a new stadium : Het Colloseum with a 3000 capacity

[​IMG]

20. Lostaam

Lostaam FHF Starter

Hoofdklasse club Nijmegen (Netherlands)

1.000 cap

[​IMG]