Beikou Hockey - New grassroots brand!

Discussion in 'Business Sale' started by Craggsy, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

So as some of you may know, I have started my own hockey stick brand. Now before everyone goes oh yet another brand let me explain why this one is a little bit different.

Beikou (pronounced "Bay-Ko") comes from an ancient game "Daur Hockey" played by the Daur people of Inner Mongolia for the past 1000 years. Beikou means "stick with a curved root" and is made from the branches of an Oak tree, with the ball made from the root of an apricot tree.

These grassroot origins are what Beikou hockey stands for, the inspiration and aspiration is to create a grassroots brand. The technology may have changed, but offering premium quality equipment which enables individuals, clubs, and groups to enjoy the game of hockey is fundamental to our vision.

Beikou Hockey is a new, fresh, grassroots focused company, providing quality sticks, clothing and accessories at sensible prices with a focus on giving back to the hockey community through clubs, players and coaches to help support and grow the game we all love.

This is the culmination of over three years work, sourcing different sticks, moulds and lay ups until I found exactly what I was after. I am very proud of the sticks, and have received very positive feedback about how well they play and the high level of feel across the range. All the range is sold direct from the website www.beikouhockey.com keeping prices low and cutting out the middle man. By doing this we are also able to offer support to clubs through cashback and sponsorship schemes, enabling the growth of grassroots hockey with further discounts to players.

Ok, just show me the sticks!

I like to keep things simple, as much as some crazy names may have been cool, simple is always best. Some people disagree about putting carbon content on sticks, and to a point I agree, however for those of us without the in depth knowledge of layups and composite materials it is a useful tool.

At Beikou our goal is to offer a range of sticks to suit all players from Juniors to Internationals, at prices that won't break the bank. Beikou sticks are divided into carbon series, determined by the Carbon Fibre %. Each series has its own unique characteristics, providing a range of power and feel to fit every player.

Senior Range
    90 Series: Premium range of stiffest sticks, offering abundant hitting power with a silky smooth feel. - £145
    70 Series: Intermediate range delivering the perfect balance between soft feel and power - £105
    50 Series: Softest feeling senior stick, combining wonderfully smooth power with super soft feel. - £75
    GK Series: Custom made Goal Keeper stick, light for fast reactions and strong to save any shot. - £45

Junior Range
    Wave & Blossom: Utilising 30% Carbon and unique bold designs, the perfect stick for advanced juniors - £50
    Grasshopper: With 100% Glass fibre and two exciting colour options, ideal starter stick for younger juniors. - £30

Beikou sticks are available in four distinct bow shapes, so whatever your preference we have something for you.
    Drag Bow: 24mm curve at 22.5cm with an abrupt bow shape designed for drag flicking.
    Low Bow: 24mm curve at 20cm with a smooth bow profile idea for 3D skills and reverse hits.
    Pro Bow: 24mm curve at 25cm provides the perfect mix for hitting, flicking and dribbling skills.
    Mid Bow: 24mm curve at 30cm, providing a more traditional continuous bow shape.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For the full range and all the info please visit www.beikouhockey.com/sticks

I am also selling a range of accessories and bags, here are a few highlights!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So the gear certainly looks good but is it actually any good? I'll let the reviews speak for themselves!

Fastforward24 is currently writing his review, but in the mean time I will leave you with his comments so far!
    User Palm87 was also kind enough to write a review, you can find the full review here

I hope you like what I have to offer, any questions or queries please do not hesitate to get in touch!

Adam

2. Waxxxed

Waxxxed FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Tribaal Impi - Beikou 90 Pro
    Quality looking outfit there.

3. BlindGoalie613

BlindGoalie613 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    What an excellent looking brand ;)

4. jonberg

jonberg FHF Top Player

I like the naming structure and the sticks look really nice. Are you shipping just in the UK at the moment or even abroad?

5. BlindGoalie613

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    I got a stick and bag shipped to Australia.

ryanpayne likes this.
  6. jonberg

jonberg FHF Top Player

Thanks, soon I'm in need of a new stick and was thinking of what to get. Price seems ok.

7. BlindGoalie613

Stick/s:
    Beikou Drag 90
    I'll be writing a review of my Pro 70 and Duffle Bag once I have them if that helps.

8. steve

steve Founder/Owner
    FHF Administrator

Stick/s:
    Ritual Velocity 95
    Good luck with your new venture @Craggsy

BlindGoalie613 likes this.
  9. RushMan

RushMan FHF All Time Great

I am soooooooooo glad to not be involved in hockey retail anymore.

Good luck @Craggsy .... Enjoy the ride, it will be a rocky one

RussellButt likes this.
  10. Patrick121916

Patrick121916 FHF All Time Great

What an awesome brand!
    I love the simple names!
    Nice sneaky pun in the title.

#10 Patrick121916, Oct 13, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  11. dave454

dave454 FHF Legend

Great to see you officially launch! Best of luck with everything, the sticks look great!

12. jonberg

jonberg FHF Top Player

What's the pun?

13. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Shipping to Europe, further than that people need to contact me as shipping costs are really variable depending where you are!

14. Johnny85

Johnny85 FHF Starter

First of all, goodluck in this field. It's incredibly difficult and not too many get through the first few years.
    A couple of comments if that's ok....
    Should this be in 'adverts'?
    Not so sure on the designs, You've got like 5 different colours in one stick and some hypnotic patterns going on. If you want to preach simplicity just check out the original Osaka designs.
    Is it just the three options for junior sticks? As in the top one is one colour and the bottom one is two colours?
    I do like the look of that satchel bag, any more pics?
    I thought it had been established that carbon content was a really poor way to measure a stick??? I find it strange that not only have you acknowledged that its not the best thing to judge a stick by but you've actually named all the ranges by their carbon content?! I dunno, I'm a bit confused with it all.
    I'm sorry if this sounds too negative, but I just can't help but feel like this is what you said at the beginning...

15. Craggsy

FHF Moderator

Designs, people love them or hate them, personally I find the osaka designs too simple (they have some new ones that are quite funky though). The colour scheme is simple, red = low bow blue= pro bow etc. Junior sticks just two options right now, I did consider a third but to start I wanted to keep the options down and focus on the core items.

Duffle bag can be found: http://www.beikouhockey.com/accessories/nomad-duffel

Carbon content is a really poor way to compare across brands, but within a certain brand it makes sense. With my sticks someone could try a 90% stick, want a stick with more feel and know that 70% would be perfect. If I just gave them names it makes it far more confusing for the customer, hence why many other brands show this. Now compairing one 90% carbon stick to another isn't that simple, but it does give the consumer some info on what is in the sticks. As a new brand if I launched without giving any info on what was in my sticks I doubt I'd sell any.

Waxxxed likes this.
  16. Craig Boyne

Craig Boyne FHF All Time Great

This might help...

Palm87 and hockey42 like this.
  17. Johnny85

Johnny85 FHF Starter

I ain't a hater, just find this all a bit confusing.
    Considering you know that carbon content is a poor way to compare between brands, by putting this up what do you think everybody will be thinking when comparing your sticks to other more reputable brands?? Why wouldn't you bring in a power rating system or something on a 1-10 scale... would be simple enough right? Even more simple really since the general public don't even realise that carbon is apparently related to force. And this power system would point them in the right direction.
    I would have thought a 'grass roots' company would have given more of a selection to grass roots players? The fact that your core is the senior range seems to contradict this.
    I get that people respond differently to artwork, but that's just a massive jumble of stuff. Looks like you wanted to fill up space either side of the brand text and thought some zigzags should do it nicely. Is your base colour black or is it the colours? If so, are the coloured parts decals or additional paintwork? Just wondering about the durability if decals are placed on the playing surface...?

18. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

Design does not matter , its all about the quality/feel of the stick, even if a worldstar hockey player use it .

Well i once bought a Malik because Sohail Abbas used it but my flicks wasnt that the same so lesson learned

hockey42 likes this.
  19. Johnny85

Johnny85 FHF Starter

So why don't they make all sticks blank with no paintwork whatsoever? Welcome to the real world mate, a large percentage of the buying population actually have the looks of a stick in mind when buying.

20. Martindk

Martindk FHF Top Player

Because its business (real world), so you would choose a stick that have a good design but shit feeling ? i can only say what i choose my sticks on , but never said that everybody else is doing the same ! and maybe i´m just a minority but i dont know what the large population actually are looking for , perhaps that why i never made my own brand (which so many are doing now)