Barbados Hockey Festival

Discussion in 'Pan America' started by Trinibajan, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Trinibajan

Trinibajan FHF Regular Player

Sun, Sea, Sand, Alcohol and of course some hockey are all part of the festivities.

Dates for this annual event 16th - 23rd August, 2009. Potential teams from Italy, Dubai and even New Zealand this year. Please feel free to check out www.barbadoshockeyfestival.com

Hope to see some sun tan new faces! :p

2. Callum22

Callum22 FHF Newbie

Hi, I was wondering if you could tell me about the standard of hockey in Barbados.

My family have an apartment near Christchurch beside the golf club, and i was thinking about coming out to Barbados for a while in a couple of years in a gap year and playing hockey.

Last time I was there about a year ago and i did not see any facilities, are there any water/sand pitches?

Thanks, Callum.

3. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

the original post was made in 2009 :sorry:

4. justinT

justinT FHF Starter

Hi,

There are two levels of hockey in Barbados, 1st Division (the lower one) and Premier. Since most of the national players play in Premier that has a very high standard of play however my club only won promotion to prem last season so I have never played in a prem match yet (this year's season was delayed for repairs to be carried out on the turf) but from watching matches a high level of skill, fitness and commitment was on show.

The national turf (commonly referred to as the turf) where all league matches are held, is in Wildey next to the Sir Garfield Sobers Sports Complex and that is water based although it is only soaked for international matches. The University of the West Indies - UWI (Cave Hill Campus) has recently built a half field sand-based turf for its club to practice on. Most clubs would practice on grass I think but some use the turf for their weekly practices. Before we got our turf we would practice two nights at UWI on grass and a third at the turf but now all our practices are held at UWI.

The Barbados Hockey Federation is the governing body for FH in Barbados and their website is http://bhf.mfbiz.com or you can post to "Barbados Hockey" on facebook and someone should be able to give you more information if needed.

I hope you decide to come.

5. dita7mim

dita7mim FHF Starter

Hi can anybody post back with some info on Barbados senior ladies players??.

6. justinT

justinT FHF Starter

Exactly what sort of info are you looking for?

7. dita7mim

dita7mim FHF Starter

Hiya thanks 1 of the girls is maybe coming to the UK to play for my club Kimberly Rock, anything ???

8. justinT

justinT FHF Starter

Sorry but not much I can say...don't really watch alot of the women's hockey or know the team members personally but from the few times I have watched them play/practice they trained hard and showed good skill. I know this is a very vague statement but it's all I have :(

9. akeemcal

akeemcal FHF Newbie

kim plays for empire she was on the last junior team currently training for the present senior women team she not a bad player and really kool to hang with