Bada Hockey

Discussion in 'Which stick? (includes Stick Reviews)' started by LeT7, May 7, 2011.

1. LeT7

LeT7 FHF Top Player

Can anyone tell me what happened to Bada Hockey. Were my favourite stick back in my school and early uni days. While we are at it , what happened to the Sean Kerly and John Shaw endorsed brand DFV?

2. tk.noj

tk.noj FHF Regular Player

Faded into obscurity, administration followed by the inevitable demise; brought on by the covert invasion of the terrifying species otherwise known as..... The chav.

Thomas Clifford likes this.
  3. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

bada was a family effort, with Barry and Ada Dunkley and their kids all being involved from their home near Northampton. they made some great wood sticks with glassfibre reinforcement. I believe that a change in the family situation may have contributed to the demise of the brand and the business.

I played my first outdoor international in 1989 using a Bada Glasstek and was a committed user of their indoor sticks for many years, including in the first Indoor World Cup

RussellButt likes this.
  4. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

5. John

John FHF Legend

not sure i fit into the appropriate age category.

DFV hockey was owned by the late David Vinson. I believe (but am not sure) that he no longer found it financially viable to run the business on a small scale.

6. MK

MK FHF Legend

Those graphics take me back to the Junior Divisional Tournament at Coventry School circa 1989!

What memories.

RussellButt likes this.
  7. Sanchez

Sanchez FHF Starter

Bada Hockey... awesome looking stick. Reminds me of my childhood playing at Quibell Park and someone from Donny, who was like god as the time as he was sponsored by Bada came to sell them. I got the all white model with Bada written in large neon pink font on both sides. Simple graphics but very noticeable Didn't use it for long but felt so cool as everyone asked where it was from. I didn't know so my answer was ' some guy from Donny.'

Maybe a reason why the hockey brand didn't grow. Lack of Knowledge and availability?!

8. MK

MK FHF Legend

Quibell Park......never ever utter those filthy words again please! Horrible place. Horrible!

9. Sanchez

Sanchez FHF Starter

not the prettiest but ive got good memories. Ok pich back in the day. Very quick. At easter i went back and visited, nothing has changed! Changing rooms still about a half a mile walk away.

10. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

Remember it well.. got sent off by some fat umpire for a foul committed by John Bell! We went through on strokes but lost in the final! Belly was a distributor for Bada, so I was kept in plenty of stock.. great stick bags as well.

11. Player18

Player18 FHF Regular Player

and great hoody's...Which as a point of nostalgia I still own one of, grey with nice pink writing.

the carbo had a habit of breaking - but when they looked that good I didn't care !!

12. MK

MK FHF Legend

I remember being offered sponsorship, and they gave me a white polo shirt with pink 'Glastek' on the back and i think a number.
    And some maroon heavy cotton playing shorts.

Loved that stuff - so 80s too. Designers dream!

13. Cookie

Cookie FHF Legend

I remember "updgrading" a blue DFV to the white bada with the pink writing. Very first time I used it was at Bisham Abbey - 1988 - I was giving it plenty as I thought I was well cool with this new cool stick. In the warm up before I had even hit a ball I went to stop one with a flat reverse stick and it snapped clean in two!

14. thechap

thechap FHF Newbie

When i played in Northampton (mid-90's) we all had them - collected them from the "house".
    Great stick - still have a couple in the loft along with a bright pink and purple stick bag.
    Memories flooding back!

15. glossevans

glossevans FHF Regular Player

I had a very similar thing happen to me with my brand new Glastek.

Took it out the clear wrapper, first strike in the warm up, stick snapped clean in two about 6 inches from the top.

Gutted.

I also remember that they did two head shapes - the "one-piece" shortie head, but they also did a 7-ply laminated "midi" head as well.
    I knew John Bell back then as well. He was sponsored by them at the time as I recall.

16. LeT7

LeT7 FHF Top Player

Thanks Peterwins & John, what a shame about Bada & DFV. The Bada Carbon was my fav amongst all the models. To date, still the best stick in the long development of my game. In those days nothing hit harder than that baby. Graphics were simple and cool and our sponsored tour team of South Africa looked awesome. Sigh....memories. I reckon that brand and style would still work today.

17. John

John FHF Legend

I managed to break mine in the same spot. Fortunately it was well worn in the head at this stage. If you took the grip off you would see that this was the point where the fibreglass matting stopped.

18. Rich4494

Rich4494 FHF Newbie

I heard a strong rumour that BADA will relaunch at the start of next season as part of the tgihockey PRO range.
    www.tgihockey.com

19. BossFHockey

BossFHockey FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    This would be quite a list for all of them....
    they seem pretty active on social media

20. MacHockey

MacHockey FHF Newbie

Rich you have to!!! I'm in!

thechap likes this.