"Afraid" to score, how to traing taking the shot

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by Folmer, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Currently I am training a team of mostly beginners or people without a lot of hockey experience.
    They are really starting to get the hang of it, but the main issue they have is scoring. When attacking, as soon as they are in the circle they start to panic and only pass the ball around without taking a shot.
    I understand a lot of this is experience, but there has to be a way to get rid of this.

Does anyone have drills to teach then to just take the shot?

2. Folmer

No one? Come on... there have to be some drills.

3. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Practically anything where it's receive, shoot will work.

Have players around edge of D with a ball each, one person in D. Lead, call for pass from someone, receive it and shoot. Repeat until they've got a pass from everyone, then put someone else in the middle. If goalie is coming out at them, then receive, beat goalie and score.

Have players around edge of D, half each side, 2 goalies in D, one on spot, one in normal spot. Someone feeding balls from about the 25 to the goalies. Hit ball from 25 to goalie on about spot, they attempt to kick it out of circle. Players need to keep it in. The two players closest to top of D, plus whoever traps the first clearance (if not one of those 2) play on, 3 on 2 v goalies. Other players all remain at top of D, can trap the clearances and pass to one of those in D. Score a goal, players get a point. Put it out for 16, or keepers kick it out of D, keepers get a point. 2 or 3 who were in go to widest part of D, everyone else shuffles up towards top, so 2 new people each time.

Have a simple pass-pass-shoot drill. Last pass coming from middle of 25 to top of D, player needs to receive, turn & thump it. Can have coach or whoever as a defender on top of D, put pressure on player's right, get them to use body position to receive with good first touch, turn on their forestick and shoot. Then can have that defender pressure attacker's left, so first touch is to go to backstick and either hit toma, or since they're mostly beginners, get it under control again and hit normal shot. Then vary it as defender, get them to receive away from where defender is pressuring.

4. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

Some drills where they start on the PS spot run up towards the top D, ball is passed they have to take a touch and shoot. Then move it on to have them running in or out from different points getting them to shoot firs time or one touch. Give more points for first time strikes, or remove points every time they touch it?

In a game you can set up rules where once they are in the D they have to shoot at goal within in 5 seconds, or only allowed to make 1/2 passes before shooting or the opposition get possession?

5. sord89

sord89 FHF Top Player

Loads of small games around the circle

As simple as a pitch the width of the circle, use flat markers to create another circle facing the actual circle. Play four on four with one team out. First to 3 goals stays in. Can vary the goals required to stay in depending on how many are being scored or one team could be waiting all day

Or even simpler, small game, goals =2 shots on target =1. Make sure there is a prize at the end, competitive practice is great but wears thin if there is no actual outcome. Can make it a negative, so losing team does a punishment, but I've found the actual winning of something works better. Im, sure there is science behind this, I'm sure I've read it but not well enough to quote here. If you don't shoot you won't score. Either way, you're getting a point

Might also want to explore why they're not shooting? Yea experience is important but do they have the skilled set? Can they hit/push/slap/flick from the required distance they need to get these shots off.

6. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

A good drill that we use, and which is beneficial for keepers as well, is as follows:
    • Five lines spread around the circle.
    • Middle line shoots at the keeper and all five players pile into the D, looking to pick up the rebound.
    • Keeper tries to clear the ball between the gaps between attackers.
    • If an attacker intercepts the clearance, they have two touches to get a shot away (you could make it unlimited touches if it's with beginners, but make it clear that they can't pass the ball to a teammate.)
    This drill encourages players to be 'on their toes' looking to pick up rebounds and the two-touch rule encourages snap shots and quick reactions.

You could introduce defenders but, if your goal is to encourage shooting for beginners, I'd suggest that the two-touch rule is better initially, as it ensures that the attacker is always able to get their shot off, whilst also emphasizing the lack of time you'd have if the circle was full of defenders.

7. Playsport-USA

Playsport-USA FHF Starter

For me with goalscoring (especially with female teams from my experience) is about creating an attitude towards goalscoring that removes the fear of failure. This is something that Spud (Craig Parnham) did fantastically well with the US Women, where they built the identity in attack of being 'Circle Animals'. Drills do so much, but how the environment reinforces the decision making is more important.

sord89 likes this.
  8. Folmer

Thanks for the replies, I created a couple good drills from them.
    If you got any other, keep em coming :)

9. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

Could you share them? We have exactly the same issue - when we get in the D everybody is getting crazy, turning their back on the goal, starting to push the ball when they can slap or hit, etc.

I think we need some good combination drills - part of them being 'on the move', other with one touch strikes and probably some 3d eliminations.

10. Folmer

@The.Rampage.Rado, see below:

Last session I built up from simple shooting top D to combination drills.

First drill 2 players run up from halfway about 3–5 m apart passing to each other. First one to receive the ball in the D must shoot within 2 m of receiving.
    Variation on the same drill, but with 3 runners, "braiding" the run-up.

Next drill was the one from @GK13, with the 2-touch rule.

Third drill had 2 adjacent squares each approx. 5 m long x 7 m wide. Last one ends about 2 m from ToD. Each square has 1 defender who is not allowed to leave the square. 3 attackers try to pass through the squares with combination play. First one to receive the ball outside the last square must take the shot.

Last drill had 3 defenders and 2 attackers inside the D, 4 attackers outside. Attackers outside pass the ball round to find holes in the defence. Once they find a free attacker inside the D they pass the ball and one extra attacker enters the D. The attack is allowed 1 pass and a maximum of 3 touches (each) before they take the shot.

At the end they really got the hang of it. Now to see if they remember this in matches.

GK13 likes this.
  11. GK13

GK13 FHF Legend

Sounds like it went well, @Folmer - hope all your hard work pays off!

12. Jerome

Jerome FHF Top Player

There is allot of good ideas and advice in this thread, but to be honest a Striker has to have a killer instinct, they have to be prepared to put themselves on the line in order to score the goal, the striker's up front must also hunt as a pack in order to score.

A vid that I have found very useful is this one which is part of a series-