Aerial Pass/Overhead

Discussion in 'Training Tips & Coaching' started by Handmedown, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Handmedown

Handmedown FHF Regular Player

Its more known in Australia as an Overhead (wonder how it got named that...), but I have a problem...

The point is that I find them really hard to do. I've tried different ways to do them, in the end I just flick them as if I'm taking a stoke and just aim high. Its more the distance I lack. I've never been taught by anyone how to do them properly and I have no idea how to actually do a proper one. I just have a few questions:

a) Where does the stick first make contact with the ball? (aka Hook or Shaft?)
    b) Do you have to drag the ball some distance? (if so, how far approximatley?)
    c) What angle is the stick at? (aka flat on the ground, raised a bit - drag flick angle?, 45 degrees, straight up and down - like a scoop)
    d) Where does the power come from? (Arms, Legs, Torso)
    e) Where should the stick end up?
    f) Is it technique or strength?

2. patpat

patpat FHF Legend

I'm a goalie so i don't really have to do them but tell me if this helps.

a) it makes contact on the hook and stays there its an overhead or aerial not a dragflick
    b) no you do not drag the ball again it is not a dragflick
    c) this probally depends on your stick you have to get under the ball so whatever works but i probally hold it at about 40 degree angle for the upright.
    d)power should come from the legs. you do not sling it as this ends up as you hooking the ball. a team mate of mine did this and he managed to put the ball over the fence. the opposition were not pleased
    e) it should end up with the hook pointing up and in the direction you want the ball
    f) its pritty much all technique power helps it to go further but im a quite strog but weaker team mates can put it further because thye have a much better technique.

hope this helps

3. braxer001

braxer001 FHF Legend

This is also a gk explanation, but I get the ball about 30 m away without too much trouble...

I find that most power comes from the acceleration of the whole body, so legs, arms and upper body all add to the power.

Technically, it is a bit like a normal flick, but you should try to 'scoop' it up a bit more, so get more under it. It's a bit like you are picking the ball up on your stick first and then accelerate quickly to get the distance, but in really fast succession so it becomes one motion.

Best thing you can do is find someone who can do them like you would like, then see how he does it, try it out, and maybe find someone to look at the both of you so he/she can say what you are doing wrong (if you are doing something wrong that is)

4. Handmedown

I saw a really good site on how to do it with photos but I cannot find it again :S

I regularly do hook the ball around. My main problem is distance. Even when I hook it goes way too high in the air. I need to find a way to put that energy into distance rather than height. When I was learning to DF my main problem was not running at the ball fast enough, but my friend can chuck overheads 39-40m on the spot almost.

5. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

if your hooking it i think your holding the ball on the stick a bit too long. use more leg power and less arm power to generate the acceleration.

6. Tasman14

Tasman14 FHF Newbie

It takes a fair amount of practise. I can still barely get over a 25 and I have a friend who is teaching me, he can overhead from the half line to the circle. He just told me to practise alot, bend your knees because you get alot of power from the legs and he showed me the right technique to.

7. jaaaaCk

jaaaaCk FHF Regular Player

i contact the ball at the hook and move it up the shaft(to gain speed) before releasing the ball and all this must be done swiftly. the technique is similar to that of a dragflick just that u dont have to drag it.

8. Jay

Jay Guest

9. supercrosser

supercrosser FHF Starter

I dont like the way the girl does the arial, she does it like a dragflick. or am I th only one who thinks that

10. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

yeah that and nobody i know has a run up for an overhead.

11. @@@

@@@ FHF Regular Player

i've seen a few internationals do it that way not so much with a runup but dragging the ball from the back foot, in the next bit Richard Mantell uses a really fast action but also a really short almost cut off follow through ( i think taekema does something similar). Unfortunately there isn't a slow motion of it since i've never seen it taught that way i would be interested to take a look

12. Handmedown

Shouldn't in theory having a run up make it travel further?

13. jaaaaCk

jaaaaCk FHF Regular Player

most of the people i know do the aerial with a lil run up but they dont drag the ball. they scoop the ball up the shaft and release it.

14. Jay

Jay Guest

I think nearer the middle of the clip there is a bit on executing a 'scoop'

15. supercrosser

supercrosser FHF Starter

today I have been trying a bit different ways of arials, and I have a fairly consitant distance of 30/35 yards

and if I try to drag it a bit the only thing that I really notice is that it goes higher, distance stays the same with me

and like me I like to do a little runup maybe will make some videoclips this weekend

16. Handmedown

The video says to use your left hand as a lever to get more height, so I suppose you could then channel the energy you have been using to lift it into more distance.

17. Joe1234

Joe1234 FHF Starter

Last night at training we did some aerial training, i was quite good before, but a little inconsistent and reluctant to use them in a match, our coach gave us some helpful tips and i can now throw 30-40 yard aerials which is about 2/3 (two thirds) in from the side line so i am quite happy. Some basic tips for aerials:
    - Legs are the most powerul muscle in the body so get low when aerialing to allow the legs to extend thus giving you more power.
    - Make sure the head of the stick goes Underneath the ball to get more leverage.
    - To throw longer ariels try and throw them forward not upwards, if an ariel is about 7-8 metres in the air it should not be dangerous.

Good Luck :)
    Joe

18. Paul Watts

Paul Watts FHF All Time Great

unless you're playing against giants lol

seriously though, all good advice.

19. glover

glover FHF All Time Great

... i find timing the key point, because you see people rushing, just slow it down, its only after a lot of practise you can flick it far.

why dont you try:

Taking one set in to the ball, like a penalty flick.
    and scoop the ball slowly, try aim for hight at first, until your wrists are strong enough.

or...

you can try it like a drag flick, and sometimes i find that having you finger down the back of the stick helps.

if that was any help??

mabey i have just reiterated what you have just put lol

20. Joe1234

Joe1234 FHF Starter

I had a match today, and executed about 4 ariels, some of which were from free hits, after the match, one of the umpires told me that you have to move the ball 1 metre before you throw an aerial. I was unaware of this and when talking to one of my team mates, he told me that is why some players do this thing where they lie the stick flat on the floor parallel to the side line and then turn the stick 90* (* this is the nearest symbol to degrees lol!) so that you can pass the ball on to the stick (therefore moving the ball at least 1 metre) and then throw the aerial, if there are any umpires on here, please confirm this? or if you do any thing similar to this please tell me because ariels are a very useful skill and i want to know how to do them properly!...

Thanks rofl