Abuse of equipment?

Discussion in 'Resources, Equipment, Signals' started by Whitey, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Whitey

Whitey FHF Regular Player

just wondering, is there a rule like this? Abuse of equipment? ???

any help would be superlative :)

2. keely

keely FHF Legend

There are these specific rules to consider:

So I'm not sure what kind of scenario you're envisaging, but I think that pretty much covers everything that you'd need to penalize with a free hit/PC/PS. Anything else is management - someone throwing a hissy fit can be left alone or dealt with gently if they're not endangering or threatening anyone else, but otherwise are engaging in general misconduct and can be cautioned with warning cards.

3. Kilmory

Kilmory Administrator
    FHF Administrator

There should be a rule against 'keepers 'pad bashing' but there isn't. I have heard that you could use the intimidation rule if you thought that was the purpose of the bashing, but most often it's just annoying! :mad:

4. Greig1911

Greig1911 FHF Regular Player

I dont see why a goalkeeper shouldn't pad bash.

I do it at the start of each half and after a goal has been scored.

I've never been penilised and I dont penilise any goalkeeper for it

5. The Doctor

The Doctor FHF Regular Player

I agree regarding the pad bashing - it's self abuse, not equipment abuse. Generally if people are bashing their sticks, or the goals out of anger or frustration the challenge is getting them to calm down, not escalating things by punishing them for it.

Our association has the following rules specifically to protect the pitch:
    C1.1.7 (Spitting) Spitting is completely banned. Umpires must issue a yellow card to any
    player who does so.
    C1.1.8 (Hitting the Turf) Players must ensure that their actions do not damage the pitch and
    in particular any hitting of the pitch or striking of the ball in manner detrimental to
    the pitch is banned.
    C1.1.9 (Banned Items) The following items are banned from the pitches: pets, cigarettes,
    matches, cigarette lighters, food, high heeled shoes, chewing gum, alcohol, canned
    drinks or solvents. Further, pets or alcohol may not be brought in to the Centres.

So no high heels on the turf please...

6. nerd_is_the_word

nerd_is_the_word FHF All Time Great

i dont know about hitting pads, but a player in a team i played in once got sent off for net abuse. Although the umpire was a bit of a d**khead.

Personally i reckon that spitting on the turf and that kind of stuff should be handled more outside of the game, by the commitees, with fines or suspensions rather than in game, because lets face it, its hard to watch every player on the field for spitting.

7. jimdonuts

jimdonuts FHF Regular Player

What about spitting behind the backline? is that technically on the pitch still? No-one's going to step on the corker you've been holding in the back of your throat if it's not on the playing part(?).

8. hullabaloo

hullabaloo FHF Regular Player

i've seen juniors sent off for throwing their stick on the ground after their team conceded a goal. fair enough too in my opinion.

9. Whitey

Whitey FHF Regular Player

yeah i got yellowed for hitting the post with my stick after conceding a goal.

and then got red carded for talking to myself....... ???

all in all it was a pretty crappy match anyway

10. gnarlygk

gnarlygk FHF Regular Player

Yeah some umpires are neat freaks like that... :mad:

On one of my few recent forays into the fwd line last yr...to win in the dying mins the keeps decided to slide me so I attempted a lollipop flick.

It cleared the keeper and with a beautiful arc, and perfect trajectory it sailed on course to the back of the net. Meantime i lifted my stick above my head in anticipation willing it to go in then...DING! Hits top post and bounces away. I dropped (did not throw) my stick in front of me in sheer disappointment, there was no one near me at all - closest was the keeper running back towards the net in an act of desparation and i got YELLOW Carded..In the infamous words of Pauline Anson (Aussies)....Please explain??

:mad: :mad:

11. boundy

boundy FHF Regular Player

Is that a local rule? I have broken every one, apart from the solvents and high heels. Especially at tournaments.

As for pad bashing, I do it to clap to celebrate goals. And for intimidation, if someone is running towards the D one on one I will come out and pad bash with stick on LHP to make as much noise as possible and try to be intimidatory. I once got one player to get to the edge of the D on one side, run around the edge of the D to the other side with me tracking him, then pass it back up the pitch to their next player. After that I also had a go at my defence for going AWOL again and giving him time to do it. Problem is we lost the game as that player had scored a goal earlier that was absolutley fantastic, and one of the top 3 scored against me.

12. keely

keely FHF Legend

As a player, I think GKs that bash their pads are hysterical. It's the same as the banshee scream when defenders break at PCs, or any other desperate plea for attention by other players. Sorry kids, but there's lots of ways you can use a physical trigger for concentration and focus that don't involve hitting yourself to make loud noises. Ooga booga! Please.

As an umpire, pad bashing isn't an issue for me unless it's somehow intimidating (and since I think it's ridiculous from a player's perspective it's hard for me to envisage another player being intimidated by it) or causes danger with wild swings. I have even less issue with GKs who rap their posts/crossbar with their stick when setting in to defend a play - this is more a proprioreceptive exercise that I can appreciate has real benefits to the GK in re-establishing mental reference points to their physical space. Just don't bang the hell out of the posts or I'll having a word with you, reminding you that in all likelihood that goal you let in was not the difference maker in getting to the Olympic gold medal game.

Cards usually aren't necessary. Wouldn't it be embarassing enough to get verbally chided by an umpire after you've just made an ass out of yourself?

13. Craggsy

Craggsy Beikou Hockey founder
    FHF Moderator

I got a warning from an unpire after hitting my shoes with my stick to get the sand out of them. He was a freak though, never seen anyone carded for equipment abuse however.

14. Jay1do

Jay1do FHF Starter

on the subject of this subject!

The Goalie in question had been verbally warned about 5 times through-out the game because everytime he let in a soft (so soft goals!!) he would bash his stick against the post!!

then he conceded a very very super slow p.flick and turned around and booted the back-board, the umpire then gave him a yellow and his exact words to the umpire were "your taking the p!55"

result red card, 16 day ban - hopefully more!!

15. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

Every keeper knows that kickers go "off" after prolonged heavy use. Why would you want a soft spot on your pads from repeatedly belting them with your own stick? I get rather agitated with this, especially when they are club or Co-operative pads that the junior d'head doesn't even own.
    To continually belt your pads accelarates the front from separating from the bolster also.

Grow up dont get angry get even!!!!!!

ANIMAL

16. G-Nyuz

G-Nyuz FHF Starter

I pad bash all the time, but not for any other reason than to get sand off them. (I like to look pretty! :-[)

17. animal

animal FHF All Time Great

I'll bet your not in OBO 'cause the skin on OBO resists the sand sticking.
    In your case, playing on sand, I can understand "pad bashing" but still can't condone it, use your hand out of the glove to brush the sand off.
    If goalkeepers were interested in looking good we would have become field players.

ANIMAL

18. NicfromSweden

NicfromSweden FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

i used to bash my pads hit posts with my stick trow my stick and stuff like that but suddenly i just stopped and now i think its very childish to do stuff like that only time i bash my pads is when i smack my handprotectors together to give "aplauses" to my team when scoring nice goals
    + when you start to buy your own gear you take care of it much better atleast i do

19. Jay1do

Jay1do FHF Starter

oh I almost forgot...

said goalie then started crying because of the card!

Dont abuse your equipment (well your goalie equipment and good things happen!!)

good Karma

20. alex.

alex. FHF Legend

that's rubbish! i guess on good sand pitches that happens, but sand sticks to my Robo pads almost every time i play. i rub it off with my hands because even bashing them with a stick only gets rid of a small amount. and this is when it's dry!