70+(?) Men's World Hockey Competition

Discussion in 'FIH Tournaments' started by SPetitt, Aug 27, 2017.

1. SPetitt

SPetitt FHF All Time Great

Gloucestershire, Buckinghamshire & Costa del Sol
    I am not sure of the correct name of this tournament which has just ended in Glasgow ...it was in Australia last year.
    A old friend (in both senses) played in the England team in both tournaments ... they lost narrowly to Australia in last year's final, but got revenge yesterday with a 1-0 win.

Something to celebrate after the disappointment of the Women's Rugby WC Final !

2. Stephen65

Stephen65 FHF Legend

Only 19 years to go before I qualify.

If I can stay as fit, healthy, agile, flexible and reactive as I am now I will DOMINATE those Oldies.

3. SPetitt

I think the English team are called 'LX' so maybe that is the bottom age limit ... but usually the required average is higher. I know my friend is well into his LXXs !

4. nemo

nemo FHF All Time Great

30 years time I may yet pick up a international call up .......lol

5. SPetitt

There's a team photo on Facebook, posed in front of a banner which says something like 'Grand Masters European Cup'.
    Now, unless the Aussies have become honorary Europeans (following their Eurovision entries, perhaps?), that doesn't quite compute!
    So maybe someone can tell us what the comp was? ( @redumpire , maybe?) If not I'll ask....

#5 SPetitt, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  6. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

It wasn't the same tournament as in Canberra. That was masters' world cup, and the next one is 2018 in Barcelona/Terrassa. I also don't think the 70s were in Canberra, I think 35s-55s were here, and 60s, 65s, 70s were in Newcastle for grandmasters' world cup.

7. peterwins

peterwins FHF Legend

Two different bodies currently run masters hockey. The Internationsl Masters Hockey Association (IMHA) handles from over 35 to o55. The World Grand Masters Association (WGMA) oversees over 60 to over 75. With encouragement from FIH, they are merging over the next year or so to form one body

Both held world championships last year as @sanabas described and will hold them again next year in terrassa and Barcelona. European championships are held in the intervening years, but there is a history of allowing guest teams from outside Europe, which explains how canada, Australia and I ghink Ghana were present in Tilburg.

IMHA also held its first indoor world cups in Krefeld this past February. The good news is there is plenty of high level masters hockey to be played at a wide variety of age groups. Follow up with your nation's association to get contact info for masters hockey, or start it yourself with some friends:)

8. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

I have absolutely no idea, but it looks like @peterwins has got it covered!

9. SPetitt

Thanks, @peterwins and @sanabas... my friend clarified, also :.
    " It was the Euro Cup. I played for LX England in the trophy competition, effectively the B teams but the Aussies and Allianz are international sides which can also play in the Trophy competition as guests."
    I guess, then, it was the World Grand Masters WC he played in last year, when they got silver behind AUS.. But this one England won:)
    It's v complicated and it will, I think be good if they do 'merge'.
    (I just wish my knees had let me play on a bit longer!)

#9 SPetitt, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017