2017 INDOOR rules published

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by redumpire, Sep 6, 2016.

1. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

What's the thinking behind that decision?

2. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Why not?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. toonboon

toonboon FHF Reserve Player

German indoor is highly competitive, they will likely not want to experiment with such a game changing rule and let other federations be their test animals.

I know the Dutch fed did this with the 6 to 5 a side rule for similar reasons.

4. D-Fence

D-Fence FHF Regular Player

I don´t know the exact reasons for the decision. The rulechange was discussed in the umpires and rules board and there was a pro and cons discussion with all coaches of the 1. Bundesliga, and they decided against the long corner.
    It´s quite a fundamental change in my opinion and I guess they don´t like changes to a running system.
    The Bundesliga works pretty well and there are a lot of goals, so why change it?
    I think indoors it is much harder for a keeper to safe a shoot at goal and to keep it in game without beeing dangerous compared to outdoors.
    In my opinion the longer corner would be too much of an advantage for the attacking team.

5. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Thanks for the response.

6. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Umpired my first indoor session this afternoon, to new 2017 rules.

Long corner a significant improvement to time in play, since defence much more likely to control and clear than let the ball run off the back. Umpires and teams into the swing of it within minutes.

What's not to like?

7. redumpire

FHF Moderator

The fact that the 2017 indoor rules aren't introduced in England until 1 Nov...? ;)

8. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

For defending teams, no more having the GK head out along the baseline and shut down the player trying to get out of the pocket. For attackers, no more getting trapped in the pocket, deflect it off the defender over the backline and get to start in the clear again. I think it will just be different, maybe open the game up a bit, not necessarily better or worse.

9. ColinSwenglish

ColinSwenglish FHF Starter

Although I see the positive aspect of it I also see a slight imbalance. In terms of the defence not just allowing the ball of the backline, the increase in the pace of the game, and in terms of fairness for the attacking team if the ball is pushed off backline its good. Personally I would have made it so if the goalkeeper made a save and it goes of the backline this is not a long corner, but if the defender makes a mistake and or deflects the ball of the back line then this should be a long, but perhaps this is too hard to umpire. Now it makes shooting in the D from any angle and it taking a deflection an easy choice over actaully having retain possestion, or use skill to move the ball. Given how hard it is to save penalty corners and shots i feel for indoor goalkeepers.

I generally see this as a positive change though.

10. Mick Mason

Mick Mason FHF Top Player

We saw this on Friday night in the under 18 comp I coach in. People taking shots all over the D knowing that if it goes off the gk over the back they just get another go at it. It sure made for some exciting hockey.

11. D-Fence

D-Fence FHF Regular Player

That´s the way the rules are in Handball and it works pretty well.

12. VicHockey

VicHockey FHF Newbie

How long is allowed for defenders to get ready for a short corner?

13. redumpire

FHF Moderator

It depends on local regulations. In England we normally allow 40 seconds, but note that the clock is not stopped.

VicHockey likes this.