2017 INDOOR rules published

Discussion in 'Indoor Umpiring Questions' started by redumpire, Sep 6, 2016.

1. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

2. The.Rampage.Rado

The.Rampage.Rado FHF All Time Great

Great. The new long corner will really make an impression indoors. I hate it outdoors thou...

3. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Nice to see the folks at the FIH are watching this forum :D
    2.2 PWGKP switch between players already on the field
    4.3 no more single colour GK shirts
    7.4 Long corner
    9.17 PC/FHA for a ball hitting discarded PC protection
    13.8 e GK may not move between whistle blow and taking of ball

All these points have been raised here.

FHF, your ultimate hockey umpiring resource. Holes in the rules, we find them. Improvements, we suggest them. You heard it here first :cool:

4. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

7.4 long corner indoors. Good. Now it's ok for me to signal this, instead of being on constant guard against giving everyone a laugh (having umpired outdoor hockey all of the day before).

Another one discussed on FHF: 9.8 dangerous play now has what we call 'drilling' clearly defined and prohibited.

I am slightly disappointed to see the entire page and a half of guidance for 13.2e FHA close to the circle. I was hoping they could edit the February version down a bit.

Umpiring Signals 4,3c: corner (ball over back line off a defender) signal not at all to the corner, just drawing a line. Not at all sure about this. Will it be outdoor as well?

5. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Here's my brief summary of the rule changes. It may contain errors of detail / interpretation! I will amend if so.

Rules

1.8 - no items inside the goal

2.1 - clarification of what happens if too many players on the pitch

2.2 - clarification that changing the player who is kicking back is a substitution (so, by definition cannot occur at a PC)

4.2 - tidying up of what protective equipment field players can wear, including the stipulation that gloves must fit in a box of a specific size. Also makes clear that knee protectors don't have to be covered by socks if they're the same colour as the socks!

4.3 - removal of rule that GK tops had to be one colour

7.2 / 7.3 - clarification of restart if ball goes over sideboard

7.4 - introduction of new style "long corners" (from half-way line) indoor!

9.8 - clarification of what is dangerous, including prohibition of 'drilling' & 'spinning'

9.17 - introduction of rule that if ball hits discarded PCD gear it's either a free hit to the attack or a PC depending on where the ball hits the item

11.4 - clarification that umpires MUST keep written record of score and cards

13.2 - clarification of when procedures for free pushes apply

13.2.e - clarification of free hits to the attack in the half that they are attacking, bring indoor rules into alignment with the outdoor rules. Specifically that ball must travel 3m or be played by a defender before going into circle; and that ball must travel 3m before hitting sideboard and rebounding into the circle.

13.7.c - clarification of what happens if a defender crosses the back-line or centre line at a PC

13.8.e - clarification that the player defending a PS cannot move his/her feet once the whistle has been blown to start the PS until the attacker plays the ball.

13.10.d - if a player breaches 13.8.e. s/he may be cautioned for first offence and MUST be suspended for second offence.

14.1.b & 14.1.c - a green card is a one minute suspension (i.e. now a rule rather than a regulation)

Umpiring Section

2.3.c - hardening of line that abuse through language, "body language and attitude" should not be tolerated by umpires.

4.3.b / 4.3.c - signals for 9m push & 'long corner' restart

6. Trig

Trig FHF Legend

Yes, for the ball to have to go 3m before going into circle off the boards stands out as a good one!!

7. sanabas

sanabas FHF All Time Great

Assuming this'll happen for outdoor too, I look forward to seeing what Obo comes up with.

8. Michael Byrne

Michael Byrne FHF Top Player

The return of the OBO Acid range?

9. redumpire

FHF Moderator

10. redumpire

FHF Moderator

EH have also sent a document to all HUAs stating as follows:
    That may look remarkably familiar to users of FHF... ;-)

steve and AJF like this.
  11. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

In anticipation of Scottish Hockey doing similar, may we borrow your summary @redumpire .

Or if they choose not to use it, can I have it?

12. redumpire

FHF Moderator

Yes and yes of course. Please emphasise that it was produced in conjunction with FIH. Thanks.

AJF likes this.
  13. UmpireHockey.com

UmpireHockey.com FHF All Time Great

Not new but, I've wondered about this...

Umpires should place particular emphasis on
    limiting time spent in situations where the ball
    becomes trapped in the corners of the pitch or close
    to the side-boards (especially towards the end of
    matches) when the player in possession effectively
    shields the ball such that an opponent is prevented
    from being able to play it shields the ball such that
    an opponent is prevented from being able to play it

Early interventions by the Umpires will make teams
    aware that this type of play or tactic is of no benefit to them.​

How exactly and on what grounds shall the umpires limit this behavior and intervene? Shall we invent a call? Shall we suddenly change how we call obstruction to how we used to call obstruction? Shall we consider this similarly to when a ball is pinched between two sticks without progress and call a bully? Seems like that would kill even more time. Shall we card the player for delay? Shall we give a free hit "just because"?

14. Diligent

Diligent FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Not a bully. That's when 2 players are deadlocked. That said, I have called a bully and the same two players got into the same lock. And again. It took a 3rd bully before open play resumed. Sometimes an umpire must be patient.

If a player is shielding against the boards so leaving no legitimate position to tackle from, then I understand that we award a FH to their opponents. No card. Treat it as the simple fair response to the situation, like ball intentionally off the back line, or repeated breaks at a PC. Just keep giving the restart it says in the rule, and eventually we'll get going again. No cards.

15. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

In Hockey5s there is a rule against passive play. A team must make "a recognisable attempt to attack or to shoot at goal". Perhaps this is an opening to introduce this rule in indoor hockey as well sometime in the future.

16. UmpireHockey.com

This isn't about a ball held against the boards. This is about "stall" -- deliberately dribbling nowhere to kill time. The thing is, and the point of my concern about the passage, there isn't a rule against dribbling around to kill time.

17. AJF

AJF FHF Legend

This is not dribbling the ball, it's describing putting it into a position where it is impossible for an opposition player to play the ball out (for example, using a stick to block it between the boards and the Baseline). You can dribble around the court otherwise to your heart's content.

18. UmpireHockey.com

So, the ball is stationary and is not trapped against the boards but against/on the back-line and to remove the ball from this position the defense would have to either move the ball over the back-line or lift the ball over the attacker's stick which is on the back-line and the sideboard -- on an angle ? That seems pretty specific.

"...becomes trapped in the corners of the pitch or close to the side-boards (especially towards the end of matches) when the player in possession effectively shields the ball ..."

And instead of IN POSSESSION and EFFECTIVELY it seems that the FIH would have said NEAREST TO THE BALL and that the defender CANNOT play the ball without playing it over the back-line or lifting it over the opponent's stick.

I think the FIH will eventually use the Hockey5s language about engaging in this type of passive play and instead requiring a recognizable attempt to attack.

19. D-Fence

D-Fence FHF Regular Player

There will be no "long corner" in German indoor hockey. At least not this season. May be next season if the experiences at the euro cups will be positive.

Crohockey1 likes this.
  20. Crohockey1

Crohockey1 FHF Starter

Good decision.