2014 Hockey World Cup - The Hague

Discussion in 'FIH Tournaments' started by Folmer, Feb 7, 2014.

1. FastForward24

FastForward24 FHF All Time Great

Stick/s:
    Beikou Pro 90, Beikou Pro 10 Indoor

Thanks

2. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

Full points system, calculations etc. for both genders here: http://www.fih.ch/en/fih/events/worldranking

FastForward24 likes this.
  3. redumpire

FHF Moderator

By the way, get in England!!

FastForward24 likes this.
  4. Darren Dixon

Darren Dixon FHF Star Player

I assume you mean men lol

heres a good question, england ladies - over rated or under performed..... or both??

5. Inselaffen

Inselaffen FHF All Time Great

Its been great to get to watch some decent hockey on tv (good timing in getting an IPTV box)
    but its very disappointing to see the level of dissent towards umpires that has crept into the game as well as diving to get PC's / Free hits.

6. Darren Dixon

Good to watch the england vs belgium shootout, anybody notice maddie hinch swapping sticks?

7. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

THe shotout was awful! Belgium goalie didn't seem to have a clue. 3/9 scored.

Anyway, the one thing that stood out for me was Wendy Stewart talking to the Belgium players at the overtime PC. I'm sure she told the goirl loitering on the dashed line to stay within the dashed line (corner over if ball travels that far out) - but surely thats giving too much "advice".

8. Darren Dixon

i wouldnt go as far to say she didnt have a clue, she covered her angles well on the ones she saved. i would say she was emotionally flat though, no celebration when you save a shootout in the world cup id be ecstatic

9. Inselaffen

looking at the 2 keepers, England were always favourites to win in the Shoot out. Hinch is a far better keeper.

10. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

Anyway, that will be England down a load of places in the ranking - anyone worked out where exactly (or best guess) and if outside top 6 - what it means for Champions Trophy, World League qualifications etc etc

11. wdyw

wdyw FHF Legend

oh dear goodness, the USA equaliser ...horrible! So in the BEL vs ENG game this morning te umpire thinks its a goal but asks the question "Any reason to chalk it out" ...so no idea if there was an issue or not and then in the Semi with a few mins to go the Aussies go balistic claiming it hit the player and with no team referral are rightly outraged when the umpires don't take advantage of their own referral. ok, neither umpire thought there was a problem ..but neither did the umpire in the earlier game ...better to be sure the right decision has been reached, especially in such an important game , with only a couple of mins to go.

12. redumpire

FHF Moderator

No problem with that, provided the stick she swaps to has been approved at the pre-tournament equipment check and has been 'stickered' to show that it complies with the latest rules & regs.

13. Inselaffen

In the england v belgium game the umps must have thought that the ball may have been hit at a height where it would have crossed the line above backboard height.

14. Darren Dixon

I wasnt saying there was anything wrong with it, i just noticed she went form an outfield ritual stick, to a gk stick which looked quite a bit longer, and also remembered a previous thread with regards to extra long sticks

15. Folmer

Folmer FHF All Time Great

Howard likes this.
  16. Howard

Howard FHF Star Player

Thanks for that and just had a look! Happy memories (apart from, er, the England women's results....) but the very last photo reminded me of the bad point, using a football stadium. That photo clearly shows the distance the fans are from the pitch, which also includes a huge moat, and I would always prefer a proper hockey stadium even if the capacity is lower. Wasn't keen on ir being in the middle of an industrial estate either!! But the big plus was all the events on the periphery - I couldn't get to them all in 2 days there! - especially the hockey plaza in the centre of Den Haag.

Will we have a hockey plaza in Trafalgar Square when the Euros are on? Doubt it, but a nice thought!