2013 rule changes published - discussion of 2013 Outdoor rules

Discussion in '2013 Official FIH Rules Book' started by redumpire, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Oy vey, if I had a dollar for every time something completely weird and strange has happened that required some hitherho unprecedented application of the rules, I'd have...

.. probably not enough to pay my rent for a week. But definitely a good restaurant meal or so!

2. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

Red, back passes occur, mistakes occur.
    We just don't remember LCs where the ball went in the goal,without an offensive touch in the circle.. It was a ho hum event- when it happens at the other end of the field:

" better remember that in case they change the rule to make that a goal... so I can quote it to RED :)
    (It has happened to me maybe twice..... a sick feeling until you realise, " NO Goal!!!!")

Can't we discuss proposed rules and their possible effect on the game without getting rubbished?
    What's almost weeks rent NIJ- 200? that's a fair few "events" and just in your experience

3. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

A corner going straight into the goal still wouldn't be a goal under the new rules...

4. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

I meant a LC awarded, red, when the ball went in without an attacking touch in the circle.not a direct into goal from a LC sorry

5. Justin

Justin FHF Super Star

"Yes, there may be an oddity or an extreme event in 1 game in every 10,000, but, honestly, when did you last see anything like any of the type of event described by Justin or Deegum actually occur on a hockey pitch?"

A bit more often, I suspect, redumpire, than one sees a forward scoring a crucial goal after running behind the net :rolleyes:

Murphy's 1st Law: if something can go wrong, it will (sooner or later)
    Murphy's 2nd Law: when nothing can go wrong, it will :p

I recall just one back pass ending in the net.....but that was before attackers would have considered a speculative hard hit at goal.

6. CardHappy

CardHappy FHF Legend

Except for it being trialled in one of (if not) the largest continental club championships for the last few years..

7. deegum

deegum FHF Legend

minor detail, cardhappy.
    Don't confuse the debate with facts:oops:
    India?
    To be fair how many hockey players would know that?

8. keely

keely FHF Legend

EHL. And only the hockey umpires know it.

9. redumpire

redumpire FHF All Time Great
    FHF Moderator

The OG rule has been in place in the European Hockey League since the 2009/10 season.

Not sure why it's important that (unspecified) "hockey players" should know this? It's a rules trial -- and one that is deemed to have been a success -- in a single competition. Why should Mathilda Walzing from Outback Kookaburras 3rd team need to know about it? Surely only the guys playing under the variation need to know that it's in place? Others may be interested but they don't need to know.

Now it's being introduced to the Rules of Hockey, Mathilda needs to be informed, but until its introduction to the level of hockey at which she plays it was as irrelevant to her as an understanding of the complexities of the British constitution...?

10. Justin

Justin FHF Super Star

The fact that the own goal has been in use in the EHL since 2009 does not mean and nor can it mean that players in countries outside Europe will or should have been aware of it.
    The FIH should therefore at this stage be introducing a Mandatory Experiment with the own goal (and the direct-lift) - which is, it appears, what they are doing.

Comment deleted by moderator.

11. Hacker

Hacker FHF Legend

Alternatively you could do what I and I suspect most others did which was to follow the links and read the FIH notice which makes the change status obvious!

12. NickP - Ashby

NickP - Ashby FHF Newbie

Question about stick rules. Anybody managed to square stick rule 2.5 b with 2.10 and 2.11?
    Also being a bit pedantic, how come, in one rule book, there are now 3 paragraphs with the same numbers 2.4?

13. Nij

Nij FHF All Time Great

Yes, 2.5b defines "flat" in a certain way. Then 2.10 defines that the stick is flat according to this definition only on one specific side.
    2.11 doesn't mention the word 'flat' at all, so there's absolutely no relation between it and 2.5b, so there's nothing to square between them.

One is under each of 'Playing The Game' and 'Umpiring' and 'Field and Equipment Specifications'.
    There have been three paragraphs labelled 4.1 and 4.2 for years. It could only cause a problem if you didn't make it clear which section was being referred to, in which case a basic rule of English language: be as specific as possible in contexts!